• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Help identifying inherited percussion rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan_Vermilyea

Pilgrim
Reaction score
My father passed a many years ago, back in 2009, and this rifle has been in my closet since then. No idea what it is. Most of the markings are worn beyond my ability to tell what they are, but I was hoping maybe someone would recognize something. It has an octagon rifled barrel, maybe 45 or 50, with either L81 or 187 stamped on the left side of the barrel just in front of the tang. There is a fair amount of scroll work on the lock, with some illegible lettering. There is a small brass inverted tear and screw on the opposite side as the lock. The butt plate, trigger assembly and guard, and patch box are all brass as well. Unfortunately the barrel tang has a crack in it, and the front ram rod guide is broken off. Just trying to decide if it has any value at all, or if I should just donate it to whoever might want it locally.
Rifle_Right.jpg
Lock Plate Text.jpg
Lock and Hammer.jpg
Barrel Stamp.jpg

Back