• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Help with wood and metal finish

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buggybuilder

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I have a chance to buy a Thompson kit rifle.
I did notice on this forum that vinegar is used on the metal parts. I feel this is quite attractive. Anyone know how and what kind of product is used and how it is applied?
Also, I read where black paint is applied to the rifle stock and wiped off to make the grain stand out. After this the finish is applied.
Any builders have experiences with these?
Thanks

Bob

dustystones said:
I have a chance to buy a Thompson kit rifle.
I did notice on this forum that vinegar is used on the metal parts. I feel this is quite attractive. Anyone know how and what kind of product is used and how it is applied?
Also, I read where black paint is applied to the rifle stock and wiped off to make the grain stand out. After this the finish is applied.
Any builders have experiences with these?
Thanks

Bob

well this is mine, and i didnt use any paint to make the wood stand out, and i used plain ole white viniger on all metal parts. oh yeah pm me and i'll give you my phone# and would be happy to walk you through it
gprbuild004-2-1.jpg

IMHO, the black paint looks awful. Yeah, it makes some of the open grain "stand out" but its such a harsh contrast to any other stain, or finish, that I believe its "TOO MUCH". Stick with fillers, and a cherry/brown stain for highlighting the grain.

Chambers sells a stain that is about perfect in this regard. And Homer Dangler/Jim Klein stains are also very good.

Of course, before doing anything with a wood stock, use some scrap pieces of wood to test out colors, and combinations of stain. Then, as a final check, try the proposed stain in the barrel mortise( channel) where it won't be seen. If the color works for you in the barrel mortise, its safe to use it on the outside of the stock, too.

Once stain goes on, its a lot of hard sanding to take enough wood off to get past it so you can start again. Do it right the first time. But you decide what is right for you.

IMO, wiping black paint on a walnut stock will only cover the grain and fill the pores. It will not bring the grain of the wood out.
Perhaps the person saying it "brings out the grain" thinks of the open pores of the wood as the grain however I believe most folks will say the different colors of the woods stripes and their contrast with the next stripe is actually the grain.

I've bought plain grain walnut and extra fancy grain walnut. The plain grain wood was basically one fairly uniform color. The extra fancy had hundreds of little wavy light/dark stripes making a truly beautiful piece of wood.
The pores of the wood in both cases were about the same.

Back