• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hen birds with the Manton.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Still producing vile flem by the cup full and feeling pretty low with it all I ventured out for a laboring few hours. I found some pheasants and squirrels on my travels and it was hard stalking the sharp eyed birds.

I missed two easy flyers! I really need to pattern this gun!! It may need the stock fettling!

The two birds are nothing to be proud of, they were ambushed after some stalking, probably how your turkey are taken or similar. Anyway, I took meat home harvested with a flintlock, not many were doing that on this island yesterday!

B.

Exercise outside where cooler air is found, in good quantities, is very good at fighting a cold virus.

:thumbsup:

Turkeys you can't really "stalk" as they have excellent eyesight and almost roadrunner like speed when they spot you. You have to get them to move close to your stationary spot, and hope you don't have to move the gun very much to sight in on them, so you can shoot them. :shocked2:

Glad you got out and got a couple birds!! :applause:

LD

Yes thank you, I meant I stalked in a spot that they frequent, I did not have to wait long in thick cover when a few happened my way.
The second bird I surprised under an oak and it was time to turn for home.

Thanks.

B.

Congrats B Maybe you will feel better soon. And when you do those birds better watch out for sure!
:thumbsup:

Congratulations Nate, Glad you are feeling a little better. I like to kill cold an flu germs with a good bourbon or Irish. Nice fat hens and an absolutely beautiful fowling piece. Keep yer powder dry..........robin :bow:

Last edited by a moderator:
The best cure for any illness is to wrap up with a heavy blanket in a very warm room, go to sleep and sweat out the poisons. The old Indians and their sweat lodges knew what they were doing!

Attaboy, Brit! Hope you can recover fully soon. Smoothshooter, take a look at Brit's adventure with 'Wily Squirrels', dated Nov 1st. A separate ramrod is evidently standard equipment for a gentleman's Manton. Back in the day, I imagine a servant would have loaded multiple guns for the master to fire, eliminating the necessity for an attached rod. However, if Brit gets tired of packing the rod, he can send the Manton and stuff to me and I'll load it from now on! :wink: George

Thanks gents.
Yes, a separate rammer is carried threaded through my bag.
I find myself inspecting hazel bushes now, for sure one day I will forget the rammer!

B.

Back