• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

HERN made Cannons do you use them?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bullmoose

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Hern Iron Works makes very reasonable priced cannons. Do any of you use these cannons?
Was wondering because they have a "clause" about that they are decoration only. Are they :hmm:

I see many people arguing over this. The warning is their disclaimer. They must of been sued or something in the past. I'd inspect the tube really carefully for seams. Then take it to a field where you can fire it safely at a backstop, even if you're firing a blank, and use a long piece of fuse so you have time to get behind an embankment or jump in a hole before it fires. Don't look at it the first time it fires, if she blows, even the smallest piece of shrapnell could blind ya!

I have a buddy in NC that has one of the Hern full scale "Carronade" tubes mounted on a Rev War field carriage. His unit bought it second hand after it had sat in someone's yard for 10 years as a decorator.

They cleanded the rust off, polished the bore and vented it. They have fired hundreds (if not thousands) of blanks through it. Usually about 4 OZ of 1F. He mentioned that they have fired live also, but don't know the loads used.

There have never been any issues with the gun or the bore liner. The 4 oz charges they use have a significant and peircing report in the 2.25 inch bore when they fire this gun. I know, because I have been laying on the ground about 100 feet in front of them when they fired during a reenactment one time!

I have one of their 2/3 scale 6 pounders. It has been shot with blanks only, waiting for wheels. Now have the wheels and need to get it mounted. I traded into it about 20 years ago when they were selling for around $180. The barrels are cast around a piece of shelby tube that has a welded plug. If the tube goes off center when casting then the bore is filld most of the way with cast iron so it can't be loaded and sold to parks as ornaments. John Hern died several years ago and his son is running thing now I think. I had a chance many years ago to work in their machine shop but decided not to. Have sold them many engine blocks so if you have one of their older barrels I may have supplied the iron.
Someone came to the shop once and tried to trade one of the barrels that had been filled. That's when I found out about the rejects and that the barrel in question had been stolen. John and I talk about it and he thought it was a former employee that had stolen the barrel.
As I understand it they do not drill the vent hole and you are buying a non firing canon. This protects them from lawsuits. The ones I have seen will hold as much powder as you want to put in. I have never heard of one blowing up.

Sounds right to me John. I purchased two 55" ordinance rifles from them last year., they give me no worries. Could you imagine selling a Cannon in 2005 without a disclaimer?

I fire mango juice cans filled with concrete (Mangojuice is 2 3/16) for 1500-1700 yards. The Tall Ship Royaliste operating under the golden gate and plays in war games with the Hawaiian Chieftain and The Lady Washingtan uses HERN carronades. You'll be safe,. HERN doesnt sell an exploding cannon.

I didn't like the juice can, couldn't hit the target with my 2". Went to a 2 pound fishing weight mold and cast out some junk lead balls and was able to do much better. I did win a shoot in Canada about 25 years ago with juice cans, I was the only one to hit a 5 gallon can at 100 yards. RCMP pulled me over to look at my canon and told me to have a good time at the shoot. Nice people up there.
Harbormaster, your just up the road from me. Someday we will have to get together.

Hern supplies cannon barrels for Dixie, John told me before he went under. Dixie vents them and raises the price considerably.

I have the scale carronade, 1-1/2" bore. It is fun to shoot.

Bill

I've bought scale replicas for the bookshelf from Dixie. They fire too. To the naked eye, they look good, but I too heard somewhere that Dixie was crooked as all he** and he buys rejects from other manufacturers, vents them and off to market with them! Even if the bore is drilled crooked and there's only 1/4 inch thick wall at the breech. The tiny replicas I bought are the last from them! :bull:

There's simply too much risk in this hobby!

Thats possible., I dont know.,I have bought from Dixie myself.,Powder flask.,2" worm.,Percussion Duckfoot kit ect.,ect.,but never a cannon.,not at those prices. I can tell from personal experience however., If you are buying from the Hern Foundry Direct..your getting a straight bore heavily built piece of iron at a bargain price that will take a stout black powder charge for what ever given cannon it may be. I cant see ever damaging my ordinance rifles with a black powder charge. They are buffed and the weakest link in the chain of events happening under the gas expansion of fire under pressure is ...., out the end of the muzzle. :thumbsup: My new Grey Stars I bought are awesome as well., they too are a cast iron with a steel sleeve.

There's simply too much risk in this hobby!
I agree !!!

My personal preferance for buying cannons is to ALWAYS buy your cannon from the manufactor. Not some 2nd or 3rd generation retailer who doesnt really know what he or she may be selling. When dealing with Boom Boom stuff they guy building it probably can tell you more info and more than likely has played with his own toys before during and after they began selling thier wares.

Back