• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hey! Any Southern turkeys taken?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Heard a lot of gobbling on my first trip out but nothing would respond to the call. We have had cold spring and the Management area biologist told me the birds were about a week behind their normal patterns.

I've been out 6 times (all public land) and have only had one hen come in. Someone snuck in behind me and killed a 2 yr-old bird about 200 yards from me.
He moved, I didn't. He won, I messed up.

I want see #3 Wattlebuster. Good job!

Im waiting on #3 myself. Went today and got caught a LONG way from the truck in a downpour :idunno:
Tony Im very happy with it cause its a shooter :thumbsup:

That would have been a sight a turkey packing a BP Flintlock and possibles bag. :rotf:

wattlebuster that's vile. how dare u brag. I sit
waiting for this rain to stop in north ga. may the turkey god give you the trots.

Took my buddy Joe to a local Mgt are a yesterday, for me turkeys were gobbling on the roost once or twice then they would shut up. I set up on several but they wouldn't answer back and never came my way after hours of waiting.

I was using my most recent build, a flint English fowler 12ga, jug choked by Caywood.

Joe had a better morning. He heard a gobbler 3/4 of a mile away, gave him a few loud clucks with his box call and the bird answered him back. He thought"no way that bird is coming in from that distance" but the next gobble from the bird was half the previous distance. It took an hour and half but the gobbler popped up out of the steep hollow in front of Joe and started strutting. With every pass the gobbler got closer. When the gobbler closed to 27 yards Joe dropped the hammer on his flinter. Dang, click.......whoosh boom, hang fire. Joe said he snatched the trigger and the hang fire caused him to be off the mark. He said he shot a tree in half off to the side of the gobbler so he know he missed. No bird but a fun morning.

Joe does his own jug chokes with a brake hone and has his gun shooting patterns that rival the best screw-in chokes for modern guns.

Hey Wattlebuster! Great job! :thumbsup: Those are some nice lookin' Toms.

I envy you guys that can shoot birds and just keep hunting for more during long seasons. I get 5 days and can take 1 bearded turkey. Got two weeks to wait yet. Might not even snow this year! :grin:

Just got in from Kentucky. Bleary eyed and sleep deprived!

We had a great hunt with no Tom's taken. We were deluged by dogs interrupting our hunting this weekend. We saw 6 dogs on the lane leading to the property we hunted Saturday morning. To our dismay we found the dogs were attracted to a gobbling bird as much as we were! :shocked2:

Saw some beautiful country and laughed with great friends until it hurt!

Of note, (and I hesitate to write this and have my honesty come into question, but, here goes) .....

One of my friends was standing atop a knoll to listen for gobbling Saturday morning. He had been motionless for a minute or so when he was assaulted from behind by a bobcat!!! :shocked2: :shocked2:

The cat leapt with both front legs wrapping around his neck. The extent of his injuries was one cut ear (praise the Lord). :doh:

We all figure that the cat had heard him walking quietly on top of the ridge while it was in a hollow. It was attracted to his quiet walking and started up to the top of the ridge. Upon seeing my friend's decoy's head and neck jutting out of his vest just below his neck, the bobcat leapt for its breakfast. :doh:

The incident will be hard to top any time soon.

Best regards, Skychief.

had that happen to a friend of mine, he was sitting down and the bobcat pounced on him ,thought he had been shot. lol he killed the cat and has a half body mount of it.

It pays to completely cover your decoys when carrying them. Crazy bobcats are the least of your problems. Greedy, stupid hunters WITH GUNS are seemingly everywhere .. even on private land.

2 people in our extinct hunt club went turkey hunting together and worked out their logistics. Half an hour later, one shot the other one .. TWICE! :td:
No decoys were being used.

Back