• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hey Britsmoothy, 4F powder

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Something to take all of us away from politics. I agree about 4F with you now a utube about it.

Let's argue about powder not politics! Have fun
popcorn impala.gif

Something to take all of us away from politics. I agree about 4F with you now a utube about it.

Let's argue about powder not politics! Have fun
View attachment 350799

I am in the same camp as you and @Britsmoothy on this, it really just comes down to common sense, and is a fun area to explore to get the right combination that shoots well for you, numbers and letters be damned. AND NO IT IS NOT DANGEROUS.

BTW that is a good channel, lots of interesting info that guy has.

4F in my ROA is an absolute joy. Fast, clean and accurate. Too bad it is so hard to find.
I have enough components to make a small batch, but it isn’t very consistent. Can’t get alder here, have to settle for willow.
Since I used a ROA in the early 70s as my back up in bear country I have always loaded 41 gr 4F and a RB. And where do you think I got the recipe, from my Lyman book.

One thing I've learned about Brit Smoothy is he is one of the most knowledgeable around on smoothbores, especially smaller bore styles. Always impressed with his posts and hunting results!
Hey dude, I'm nothing special with muzzleloaders.
I just thought one day why the big no no but no warning on the can!
Another day I just thought wow, why do some go through so much pain loading a smooth bore?
The simpler it is the better. And if you can get more shots to the pound by using 4f then hey, what's not to like....

Another day I just thought wow, why do some go through so much pain loading a smooth bore?
The simpler it is the better. And if you can get more shots to the pound by using 4f then hey, what's not to like....
👍

Added benefit,,, it drives the ninnies, worry warts, and Karens bonkers 😃👍

I had long ago found someone who had researched Hazard’s paper cartridges in .44 cal while also testing some he had in hand. Dissecting one showed him it contained 4F. Testing it showed to be as powerful as Swiss powder. It was their new powder called Pistol Powder.

More recently I was shown the P-Max Swiss powder ballistics calculator, which I find interesting. I create short for their mass bullets with very wide meplats for hunting. When I’ve run those with 4F (30-32.5 grns in my NMA and a ~230 grn bullet) it shows scary max pressures. Using energetic 3F that load sits handily within .45 ACP territory, which is pretty good, and racing from the 35-37.5 grn charge my Ruger prefers.

What I find intriguing is the pressures the Hazards cartridges have as I’ve seen they were loaded with 36 grns of powder with a 211 grn conical.

The only way I’d feel comfortable using 4F with my loads would be the more anemic powders so common. In fact I’d seek it out if I couldn’t get sporting grade powders.

Back