• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hike in hunt/camp from friday to sunday

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lorren68

40 Cal.
Reaction score
A friend and I are planning a hunt/camping trip for hogs, what all should I take? Conditions are Cold temps, 2 mile hike to camp and back, 3 persons each responsible for their gear plus communial food. I know I need my shelter,rifle and shooting bag.

Something to eat. Something to drink. Something to season some meat with when you get you a hog and decide to enjoy some backstrap.

I would bring a nice size first aid kit, and something to get me up off the ground when sleeping. Of course a good sized knife and tomahawk(for each person.) to make travois to carry game or a person out if something should happen. Some of those insect proof game bags might come in handy.

When you meet your buddies at the designated parking/meeting place, be sure that you all bring your ID's and proper hunting licenses, camping permit, whatever is required. Not having all that when required to produce it will really ruin your trip.

I also suggest that you each take an extra quart of clean drinking water, over and above what you had planned on taking. Your body will need extra water in the cold, and don't eat snow or ice, always warm it to liquid if the temps are low enough to produce these conditions. The reason being is that your body will expend more energy raising the temperature of ice or snow to the point that it can be absorbed and that means you have to ingest more calories to break even.

As others have suggested, bring something insulate yourself from the ground at night or get yourself up above the ground. A ground tarp will keep the ground moisture off of you plus you can fold it in half and put leaves, grass, stuff like that to help insulate yourselves. If this is going to be a period correct camp and it will be cold, wool blankets are your friends.

Lastly, when skinning/gutting a hog, always cut wilt the direction of the hair, not against. The bristles will dull a knife faster than you think so don't try and shave a hog with your hunting knife. Bring a small wetstone or something similar to touch up the edge of your knives as well as some oil, grease or rust preventative.

Good luck, hope this helps.

lorren68 said:
A friend and I are planning a hunt/camping trip for hogs, what all should I take? Conditions are Cold temps, 2 mile hike to camp and back, 3 persons each responsible for their gear plus communial food. I know I need my shelter,rifle and shooting bag.

Coffee or chocolate for something warm to drink. Good fire kit and something to insulate you from the ground(as mentioned). Plenty of water and extra food just in case the hogs don't cooperate. Maybe some small game loads if your partners are not using muzzleloaders....squirrel and rabbit is better than nothing. A good knife and hawk. Oh and of course.....a camera so we can see how it went!! Good luck, temps are gonna drop this weekend so be safe!!! :hatsoff:

Cell phone(s) , preferably from different providers and GPS for location in case of an emergency.

I know it's not PC, but the little instant coffee packs from starbucks are really really good, fairly inexpensive and weigh virtually nothing

A water filter is lighter than carrying in water.

A tarp to break the wind and/or for snow/rain.

Compass and topo map

Small grill for fresh pork, unless you prefer steak on a stick (works great). Enough food if porky don't show up.

First aid kit.

Sharpening system and a means to carry out boned out pork.

More layers of clothes than you think you need

A roll of TP for each, entrenching tool to make a privy, toothbrush, bar of soap.

Radio so you can listen to football Sat. night while eating tenderloins :thumbsup:

Sounds like a Lot of fun a katydon water fitter is the best money I ever spent be safe

I thought of the Beam and the woman, but she said no and Mr. Green Jeans said no to he beam. I have started collecting the stuff I need, but it will not be period correct stuff. I have me a backpack tent, sleeping bag(taking 2 1 under 1 over) gun and supplies, emergency repair kit for gun, cooking equipment, food, and now I need to stock a first aid kit.

My friend and I modified a lawn cart into a wagon to haull everything in.

Back