• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Historical Correctness of Peep Sight?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ben, you could always try this peep in the current dovetail. Total investment $6.95. Then, if you like it...move to a more sophisticated sight.
Link

I deer hunted with peep sights for years. I removed the aperture or drilled out the sight or both, to get the "ghost ring" effect. In use, in the woods, they are astoundingly fast and accurate. You are not even aware of the backsight and see only the front sight, your eye automatically centers the front sight. Basically, you have to work to miss. I love 'em. But now I shoot only open sights on my York county rifle. Goo smoke, ron In Fl

CoyoteJoe said:
Blackfoot said:
If any of you know where I can get THIS rear peep let me know, Thanks
Funny, you got the photo from Track and they also sell that very sight, I've mounted a couple for a friend. I do believe that one has an extra large aperture disk. They work OK but I wish they used a larger strap. When you countersink a 6x48 screw head into them it doesn't leave much steel on each side of the hole and being just mild steel they are not so strong as I would like.

Yes I did get the picture from TOW but could not find it on their web site..

You all talk of using the peep with a large hole in it but from my expierience I would rather use a small hole in the peep maybe because of the very small target peep that I use for tournament archery.
I have a Williams rear peep on my Encore 209X50 muzzleloader and love the peep but it way too big even for hunting. I am making a small insert for the aperature so that it will be easier to aim and get tighter groups, I will start with a super small drill .050 and go a little bigger if I have to but would rather have that small. If you can't see the animal with a peep then it is too dark to shoot (lots of Archery peep experience so I know what I can get away with for size of hole.)

It is easier for your mind to center something in a circle (like a peep) than line the front with the rear sight, Try one out sometime and you will see what I mean.

Gary - is this an Arabic barrel? The peep hole is a tad over .078 inch dia. If anyone has an idea of the age of this barrel I'd like to hear it.

DSC00271.jpg

WRussell said:
Gary - is this an Arabic barrel? The peep hole is a tad over .078 inch dia. If anyone has an idea of the age of this barrel I'd like to hear it.

DSC00271.jpg
Can you show us the whole barrel please.
:hatsoff:

Thats my big guff with peeps, they do obstruct alot of the target area. However, they are more accurate, and do work well in low light if drilled out enough. (Although I do think I can shoot my opens just a hair darker than I can even a wide peep).

Im in the N.Guard, and on my states rifle team, M-16's with peeps of course. I also worked as an armourer while we were deployed. We seem to do allright with them peeps. Although Id love to trade my M-16 for a M14. Hate the 16.

How about for open rear sights? How many of you guys like the rear sights with the very small little "nick" for a notch? Ive always liked the over-exaggerated notches, like on factory lymans.

The "FULL" Buckhorn is a peep site with just a little more light. And it will pass for open site shoots. I like the wide flate rear site on my Long Rifles.

Here's a shot of the whole barrel

If anyone has a clue when it was made, I'd appreciate hearing.
DSC00272sml.jpg

bareback....

I can no longer see those little "nicks" that supposedly pass for the notch in a rear sight. I like 'em wide with a lotta light coming in from the sides.

Peep sights are the best there is when it comes to iron sights. Lotsa info on this thread I've been wondering about myself. Thanks to all.

Vic

Undertaker, I started a new thread with an overall pic. Bit rushed right how, but I'll be happy to answer questions, post more pics.

CoyoteJoe said:
Complaints of peep sights for hunting come from people who are too hard-headed to try them. As others have said, a hunting peep should have a large aperture. That is no news, Williams has long listed their "twilight aperture" and they still work fine. Even with a 1/8" aperture you will still get better groups than with any open rear sight. Also as mentioned, if peeps were a liability in poor light the military would not use them. In fact the Army went to peeps with the m-1917 and never regretted it. The Britts also gave up the open rear in favor of a peep with the Mark 4 SMLE. I totally agree with and am not at all surprised by Steve Zihn's lengthy test. But of course, no amount of testing will ever convince some know-it-alls who have never tested it for themselves. :grin:

well said Joe, first here is the address for TOTW[url] www.trackofthewolf.com[/url]
second a peep is excellent for hunting, I grew up in the northwoods on the canadian border all the oldtimers used peepsights and killed many whitetail and moose until scopes became the norm. I used only peepsights on all my centerfire rifles until I moved to CO and killed deer every year in all lighting conditions.
Joe mounted two of those Track sights on my Lemans not only are they classy looking sights my groups indicate how superior peeps are over conventional open sights.
Anybody who uses peeps know that when you bring your gun to your sholder your target falls into your sights.
as for not good for low light that is competley
up to the aperture
I killed my elk this fall at 60yrs,last light. it went 20yrds and dumped.
:hatsoff:

Last edited by a moderator:
There is another peep sight available which, IMO, has a somewhat tradional flair. It can be seen on the Muzzleloaders Builders Supply site (Item # 21110). Click on sights. It is attached to the barrel/breech area with two screws. There is no elevation adjustment, but a minimum of windage adjustment is. The rear screw slot is a bit wider than the front slot, which allows the business end to be moved from side to side until you get the right POI. Then both screws are tightened down. Elevation change must come by altering the front sight. This sight is made by Dale Johnson, a man of considerable skill. I have one on my .32 flinter, and squirrels this side of thirty five yards are in heep big trouble.

"Complaints of peep sights for hunting come from people who are too hard-headed to try them."

I think the topic had to do with the histoprical aspect of peeps, which will depend on the type od gun one is using, if you can find a peep that is similar to one documentable to the period of a particular gun it would be historicaly correct, if you put a modern high tech microclik peep setup on a 1770 longrifle or 1840 Hawken then it would not be, it is not to say to do so is wrong though there are many who would like to see peeps out of the picture for hunting seasons, as the wide open definition people like to use leads to the modern type..then the scope issue
is he next step but that is another thread.If you are concerned about HC you must decide where to draw the line and accept those things you like that are not as being just that and use them or not it usually is only a superficial victory if one has to twist and juggle things to be able to call it HC many of us use non HC/PC items without having to somehow search for a way to justify them as being something else.

TG, I totally agree that very few of the peeps in use today are at all historically correct. For that matter, very few of the open sights are any closer to HC. Have you ever seen an original flintlock rifle with a front blade standing 1/2" above the barrel? Most original sights were a front barleycorn no more than 1/8" high and rear sights often had just a scratch of a notch. It requires excellent eyesight and "just right" lighting to hit anything with those sights. Too little light, you can't find the rear notch, too much and both sights disappear in the shimmering haze reflected from the barrel.
As you said TG, we try to balance what is "kinda sorta" correct for the period against what works for a hunting rifle. I do have one totally NOT PC Lyman peep but in truth I'm just as well served with a "kinda" PC thumb screw threaded into a hole drilled into the tang. The Lyman is a bit easier to zero for windage since it requires no hammering of the front sight, but once zeroed the thumb screw peep works just as well and costs only a few cents to make. That represents my personal balance between PC and practical. Oh yeah, I also have a totally non PC front bead standing 3/8" above the barrel where I can see it.
I guess if I had been born two hundred years ago I would still be the same person and that is a person who will experiment with his guns and sights and find what works best for me. So I scope my modern rifles and put simple peeps on my ML rifles. Kinda PC but more importantly to me is "they work". :grin:

Gary, You made a point that many may have missed. The peep can not only serve as a sight to align on a target but to sharpen the image of the rear sight. The rear sight is adjusted for range while the peep is left alone. Some "peeps" aren't even mounted on the gun but on the shooters glasses called cheaters, they sure make a difference shooting the pistol. "Old age and treachery will win over youth and strength every time"

Back