• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

History of set triggers

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am no expert but it is my belief they were used on german guns long before our revolution. If any were in use here, I just don't know. But I would assume some were brought over here if not made here.

Set triggers go WAY back. Crossbows.

Almost universal on German rifles, both wheellock and flintlock.

Most always of the "single action" type. The trigger must be set in order for the gun to fire. The front trigger is often a very narrow needle of a thing....it's also often broken...

Onojutta said:
When were set triggers developed? Specifically, are they period correct on pre-rev longrifles?

If you want set triggers use them.
Rifles of Colonial America Vol 1, rifle #2 was made about 1720 in Vienna. It has set triggers. #3 a German match rifle also has them. Then see #s 41 and 42. Likely 1750-60s rifles made in America, though 41 is obviously made with a German barrel and could be a 1760s-70s restock.
Jacob Dickert liked set triggers it seems but the rifles are difficult to date. But he was active well before the Revolution.
I would not worry about it. They might easily predate the flintlock

Dan

I thought they did go way back, but I have noticed that many earlier Dickert rifles that I have found in a an old book did not have set triggers. I'm currently building an early Dickert, but I love to shoot a light trigger pull and thus prefer set triggers.

Mine are called Crockett triggers, so I figured Davey had something to do with the design.

That would be the turn of century thru the fur trade era

Stophel is correct - set triggers go back to crossbows and thus predate flintlocks. Some makers used them & others did not - a matter of the builder's skill & knowledge, what the local market wanted, planned use of the gun (precision shooting at stationary targets) & cost.

I have seen examples of matchlocks with them I believe the commonly heard date is 1527 for the first set trigger.

I would say that "set triggers" would be correct. I figure the reason that many did not turn up early is due to the amount of work required to make a set. I am currently making an early Dickert with set triggers. I had a set of Davis set triggers in it but decided that they did not look accurate enough. I am now in the process of making a set to replace them -what a lot of work! I would say that on early rifles only the more fancy rifles would have set triggers. After parts became more available you would see them more in use then.
Just my 2 cents, Brian

There's almost as much work and materials in making a set trigger as making a lock!

I made a set once. All parts but the springs. Lots of work...

Latest posts

Back