• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hitting the 8 ring instead of the 10(graphic Picture)

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rev_William

50 Cal.
Reaction score
Cluade if it's to graphic I understand you'll pull it. With the talk of ballistics of different calibers and charges I thought some actual visual aids might help when talks of x gr of powder and x caliber prb and the foot per sq inch impact, but not being able to see what it actually does in the feild.

I was using a traditions Crockett .32 this 1st squirrel I missed the head at 25 yds head on shot, I try to put the tree between me and the squirrel to give a backstop . it was 15 grs 3f and 40 gr prb, the rabbit was at about 20 ft with 30 grs 3f( I was stalking a coyote when the rabbit presented it's self) & the 2nd squirrel was at about 15 yds with a angled away shot with 15 grs.

It looks like you did good on the rabbit and the second squirrel. Not too much meat left on the first squirrel but maybe you can make dumplings with him. Thanks for the photo..................watch yer top knot.............

I'm curious about your two charges. Do they group much differently? Any idea as to the velocity? What powder, patch, and ball do you use? What kind of range do those charges give you?

I'm considering an inexpensive small game rifle, and the Crockett is on the list of possibilities. I assume windage adjustments can be made by tapping the sights?

They don't group to much differently 30 gr tends to be about 1/2 " higher at 20 yd's til at 50 yds dead on and 15 grns are between 1/2"-3/4 low. I use either trip 7 3f or real BP 3f don't see any difference in powder, 40 grn .310 and red pillow ticking. Never had to shoot past 25-30 yards on small game and don't really have access to places beyond 50 yds. The reason I posted was how the .32 is usually compared to .22 lr or .22wmr ballistics. I can say I've never had either .22's cause this kind of damage when you hit small game. I just use Kentucky windage when needed. The 1st squirrel was on the end of a branch and wind was about 5 mph I just misgauged the sway of the branch I guess.

Yup. Looks zackly like what I get with the 32 with head shots or body shots.

I'm down to 10 grains of 3f now, and it still kills like a lightning bolt and shoots flat enough to 35 yards or so. With no reduction in terminal destruction.

Drop a head shot into the neck, and you might as well cut the critter off behind the shoulders. The shoulders are so bloodshot, there's no salvaging them.

Here's my "take" or insight about it all. Even at 22LR velocities or lower, the 32 is a whole lot more destructive. It lands on target already bigger than an expanded 22.

I'm shooting a 30 cal (.290) more than the 32 cal (.310) now. That .020 drop in ball diameter doesn't make the least bit of difference.

Your killing me :surrender: I tested the water with the boss, he said if I call in Friday he will flat go :youcrazy:

Tomorrow is gona take A WEEK to get over with.

My cousin is hunting the deer season that starts on the 19th, I am gona brush bust for him for the 1st 3 days, Miss .32 will come along, for some afternoon small game :wink:

I sympathize with you sean. I won't be able to get out again til next weekend, for some reason my wife said I couldn't go on our anniversary this weekend lol. I told her after that though unless an extreme emergency hits don't expect to see me on weekends til after February

Wow! What a stark difference from the load I've been using in my .45. The damage from that .32 is amazing. All I got was a .440 hole in my squirrels with 30gr of 3F in my rifle.

Latest posts

Back