• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hodgdon triple 7

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
From Cody Wyoming, now lives in Oakwood Illinois
I have this Triple 7 laying around for some time and never have used it before. I usually use Pyrodex RS. I may be wrong but I heard the load data is different with Triple 7 than Blackpowder or Pyrodex. I usually load 70gr. for 50 yards with my 50cal.Muzzleloaders. Is it true that you don't load the same grains with Triple 7. Can anyone educate me about using Triple 7? Any information or suggestions would greatly be appreciated. Respectfully, cowboys1062.

I prefer it to Pyrodex. I load by volume the same as with pyrodex or real BP. Others will say its about 10% more velocity etc so you may think about it as 3f and Pyrodex as 2f. Way to tell for sure is to shoot it in YOUR guns and see how it likes it.

T7 is more of a "sporting grade" powder and does burn a lot different then Pyrodex.
Back off some to get the same results,, if you typically use 70grn,, I'd go to 55-60,, you can then work up if needed.

I don't use it but helped a friend sight in his rifle with it a couple of years ago. It fouls very badly, as bad or worse than black powder but cleanup is fairly easy. Just be prepared to wipe occasionally during your shooting session.

Triple 7 was the best performing substitute I used and a few hundred FPS faster than real black in my chrono tests when loaded by volume. It is about as dirty as real BP, though I never experienced this so-called "crud ring" that others complain about. I now use all real black just for simplicity since I mostly have flintlocks now and don't want to keep T7 around just for the couple of cappers left in the collection. But I'd highly recommend it to anyone that wanted to shoot a substitute. :thumbsup:

Quoting from Hodgdon's site for Triple Seven:

"Triple Seven is a high energy product designed to provide the muzzleloading hunter with higher velocities when used in the same VOLUME as blackpowder. To duplicate a blackpowder load velocity using Triple Seven, you must decrease the powder charge by 15%. *See WARNING below."
https://www.hodgdon.com/loading.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Triple Seven 2F is my prefered powder for hunting. Works very well in TC Hawken rifles. I have couple rifles that really shine with Triple Seven. best of the subs out there presently. Works well in modern muzzle loaders, and cap locks, no good for flint locks.

Works dandy in flintlocks with a 10 grain primer charge of 3f down the tube first (reduce yer T7 load 10 grains). will not work as a pan primer though.

Back