• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Holding a lockplate for cleanup

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I used a hot glue gun to to stick the plate onto a piece of aluminum angle so that I could hold the thing in the vise. It's an old percussion shotgun lock that was pitted. I used an orbital palm sander to get through most of the case hardening so I could file the pits out. The palm sander doesn't dish out the holes like what happens when someone uses a buffing wheel for the job. It shouldn't be to hard to clean up the glue since it seems to be water soluble.

IMG_7188.JPG

Yep, I had that figured out. I forgot to mention that I heated up the plate and the aluminum before I squirted on the glue.There's always a little glue stuck on that needs removed. A hot glue gun is one of the handiest things around once in awhile.

Back