• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hopefully the last LR will be .....

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vaino

Cannon
Reaction score
Having most of the parts and w/ the blank soon to be here, my last LR will hopefully be started. I've chosen a Bucks County LR along the lines of Shuler...really like his buttstock shape and the overall slenderness of his LRs.

My wife thinks I'm a little bit "nutty" for starting this LR at the age of 83, but a shop w/o a current build is no longer a shop. So....on with it.

Perhaps this LR will be a "plainer gun" because of the macular degeneration that plagues my eyes, but how plain will be determined while building. My intentions are to build a "full blown" Shuler, but this might not be possible.

A Bucks County requires more parts to be "homade"...they're just not available at suppliers.

Have been hesitant to incorporate fleur de lis features in my BC LRs because they're not easy to get "right"....most have them, but have laid them out and always they don't come out right for me....hopefully this time they will.

This BC LR might take years to build, but that's all right....just so it's completed....Fred

Go for it! As long as your health allows you to engage in the hobby that makes you happy and entertained why not? Keep us posted as to the progress of your project. :thumbsup: Dan.

Go for it!!! Nothing keeps a man going like having something to do and keep his mind and body active. :thumbsup:

Someone told me this year, that I was never going to live long enough to finish all the projects that I have planned and lined up, barrels, locks, wood and the like for. I told them that was the plan. :)

William Alexander

Hi Fred,
I am sure it will be a stunning gun. Schuler certainly is a challenge but you have a lot of experience with Bucks Co. guns. Have fun with it.

dave

I'm just starting to build and I'm almost 68. Hopefully I'll be able to continue till I'm 83+.

My father, who is turning 92 shortly and still quite active, always says "You have to keep moving to keep moving." Your love for building fine rifles is always evident in your final product, so why not do what you love, even if it's at a bit slower pace than before.

Best wishes on the build and I look forward to seeing pictures whenever it is completed. :thumbsup:

Fred,
Glad to see you back in the game.......you should change your idea tho....pictures as-you-go are more fun than you beleive.
Most of the folks here are younger builders and need to see how the older guys progress a build!
Think about it....and share!

I have another rifle just beginning...a Christain Spring 54 c weight.....soon....soon...

Marc n tomtom

Thanks to all for the kind words. Thought about whether to start another build for quite awhile....couldn't see not going to the shop most mornings, so we're off and running.

This Bucks County will have a .50 cal. Rice "B" weight X 46" bbl, a Chambers' Golden Age lock, a BC Shuler Bplate from Dru Hedgecock and the TG is Goehring's #47 which is a Verner, but turns out nicely when modified w/ thumbnails to make it a Shuler. The rest of the items will be made. Should keep a person busy for awhile. Below is pictured the last BC and it's waiting for engraving....Fred

Flehto.
I'm not as old as you are but I'm probably in the same shape. Us old guys have to do something.
That is why I took up engraving. I think I have one more gun or maybe two to go. I will engrave as long as I can see and move my hands.

See....I TOLD you if you leaned that rifle in the corner to long the stock would bend!!! :rotf:

Better get those parts off to our buddy......I have some for him also, just haven't gotten around to final smoothing them....I have WAY to many irons in my fire.....

Marc n tomtom

Fred: You have mastered the form and proportions of the Bucks style gun. Those are the most important elements. A plain gun that's true to the slenderness and shape of the "school" will be a desirable final effort (if indeed it will be).

Take your time. The longer you take, the longer you'll live. :wink:
Plus, a guy's got have something to do. It's human nature. :hatsoff:

Latest posts

Back