• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

horse pistol

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chuckcolas

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Howdy folks, I'm thinking about getting a pistol from Tennesse Valley Arms. It will be a 50 caliber smooth bore. I have read some good things about this outfit and would like some advice. This should be a good addition to the North West Trade Gun I have coming. Thanks, Sawbones

IMO they produce a fairly well made assortment of firearms at a reasonable price.
A lot of people have dealt with them and I haven't heard any complaints yet.

All of their parts are made in the U.S.A. and are top quality.

Some of the guns they offer can be bought "in the white" meaning the stock will need to be finished by the buyer. Their "in the white" guns are often sold at reduced prices. I don't know if this option includes any of their pistols though.

Hey Doc!
TVA is a good choice, but keep in mind that when you purchase a pistol it would be best to obtain one in the same caliber as your long gun. This facititates ease of loading since you use the same balls for both. The weight of your hunting bag comes into play, big time, on a long trek.
Any help you need getting started don't hesitate to ask questions on the forum. Everyone is most happy to offer advice.

Are you talking about TVM (Tennessee Valley Muzzleloading)? If so, I purchased/ordered a .50 smoothbore kit at Dixon's this past summer. Of course it arrived just as school heated up, and it has sat in the box as I haven't had a chunk of time to work on it, but it looks good. Toni/Slash is on this forum, and she and her husband Matt are nice people and very helpful. I'm looking forward to starting on this kit, and if I do my part, it should be very nice indeed.

Back