• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Horseback hunting rigs for traditional muzzleloader

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well as the title says i would be interested in seeing how you carry you traditional muzzleloader horseback. A couple friends and I were thinking of taking the horses up the mountain this fall and trying to hunt big mule deer. Ive been thinking about what rifle i would want to use and since my 45 cal flintlock won't be done i was thinking of taking my dads .54 hawken. Hunting the mountains of Wyoming will require covering a lot of ground and i would rather not have to hold the rifle the whole time. I have a few scabbards built for my lever actions but was wondering if there were some special consideration to take in mind before i build one for the hawken. Any input is welcome on putting together a traditional hunting rig. Thanks.

I made a 'boot'that works quite well. A piece of leather about 8"x8" with two straps threaded crisscross through it, with the straps having buckles. The straps wind around the pommel and the 8x8, the 8x8 turns into a tube to accept the rifle. Tighten as much as you can to keep the rifle in place, but loose enough so you can get the rifle out. The rifle will lay horizontally across the horse's withers. When the going gets tough for clearing trees, slow down and either remove the rifle, or shove the boot so that the rifle hangs down.

In 1976 I went on my 1st horseback hunt with a fullstock Hawken. Had a saddle maker build me a gun case/scabbard out of heavy leather with sheeps fleece lining. I had two D rings attached for straps to put it onto the saddle. Have been on MANY hunts since and my gun was always well protected. Always kept it oiled to turn water from rain or deep creek crossings.

do you happen to have any pictures. Your set up sounds very similar to what i had in mind. Is your fully enclosed or does it have an open top like most western rifle scabbards.

It is fully enclosed, looks like a gun case. I will try to post pictures later today, if I can figure out how! In todays market it would probably not be cheap to duplicate. I paid $85.00 to have it made in 1976, alot of hot days baling hay.

Well i will be building it myself with the help of my friends. I have a friend who has a leather sewing machine, and built his own saddle, and i have been building holsters and similar stuff for years. Would be very interested in seeing pictures of your design so i can hopefully get some creative insight off of it.

I'm not smart enough to get these pictures posted. If you go to my personal info and send me an email I'll forward the pics to you.

Back