• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How are calibers established ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was pondering this question and wondering how these what seems like random bore diameters became established. Was .54 established from freshing out original bore diameters in 50 cal. a time or two ? I would think original calibers would have started life in even tenths as in 30 cal bore becoming .32 and .36 when freshed out, 40s becoming .42 and.44 and .50s becoming .53 and .54, 60s becoming .62 and etc.
I've read original Hawkens were often made in .52 and .53 when measured but this too could have been freshed out measurements taken of original guns in modern times.
The freshing out process does not require a rifling machine as one is reaming out the corroded/eroded bore and using whats left of original grooves to track the scraper in making them deeper into fresh metal. As most rifling was originally quite deep (.012 and deeper) by modern standards, it is conceivable/ likely that these new calibers would be established and when advantage was experienced in their usage of power, efficiency and accuracy they could have became established sought after calibers cut in new/original barrels.
As a side note it must be remembered that as far as Hawken rifles go many were made in calibers smaller than .50 before the brothers moved to St. Louis.

I was pondering this question and wondering how these what seems like random bore diameters became established. Was .54 established from freshing out original bore diameters in 50 cal. a time or two ? I would think original calibers would have started life in even tenths as in 30 cal bore becoming .32 and .36 when freshed out, 40s becoming .42 and.44 and .50s becoming .53 and .54, 60s becoming .62 and etc.
I've read original Hawkens were often made in .52 and .53 when measured but this too could have been freshed out measurements taken of original guns in modern times.
The freshing out process does not require a rifling machine as one is reaming out the corroded/eroded bore and using whats left of original grooves to track the scraper in making them deeper into fresh metal. As most rifling was originally quite deep (.012 and deeper) by modern standards, it is conceivable/ likely that these new calibers would be established and when advantage was experienced in their usage of power, efficiency and accuracy they could have became established sought after calibers cut in new/original barrels.
As a side note it must be remembered that as far as Hawken rifles go many were made in calibers smaller than .50 before the brothers moved to St. Louis.
Sorry, my puter stuttered on the thread title.

Back