• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How Did You Fare in Colorado?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

longcruise

70 Cal.
Reaction score
Yesterday closed out the CO elk and deer ml season and wondered how everybody made out?

As for myself, it was the most abbreviated season in many years. Due to a health problem of a family member my hunt was limited to one day. Managed to get out of town and into my area just before dark on opening day where I met up with my son in law and 13 year old grandson.

On Sunday we saw a few deer and no elk. we all three had doe and bull tags. I was mainly interested in seeing my grandson get his first deer or elk and only having one day I kinda held back for his benefit.

Late Sunday afternoon he did take a nice large mulie doe. His first deer!

I had to pack up and leave at dark on Sunday but during the course of the day I did manage to head shoot one blue grouse and took a coyoute at 145 yards. Will try my first brain tan on the yote. Left the grouse for the "kids" camp supper.

So, hope it went well for the rest of you who hunted co!

:thumbsup:
[url] http://www.muzzleloadingforum...id/211102/pid/461654/post/last/m/1/#LAST[/url]

Last edited by a moderator:
Three of us back packed into unit 6 near Walden. All had cow tags. Saw a good bull opening morning but no elk after that. Saw a few deer and several hunters. We came out Wednesday. Good time none the less. Can't beat a camp in the Rockies!

marmotslayer said:
Yesterday closed out the CO elk and deer ml season and wondered how everybody made out?

As for myself, it was the most abbreviated season in many years. Due to a health problem of a family member my hunt was limited to one day. Managed to get out of town and into my area just before dark on opening day where I met up with my son in law and 13 year old grandson.

On Sunday we saw a few deer and no elk. we all three had doe and bull tags. I was mainly interested in seeing my grandson get his first deer or elk and only having one day I kinda held back for his benefit.

Late Sunday afternoon he did take a nice large mulie doe. His first deer!

I had to pack up and leave at dark on Sunday but during the course of the day I did manage to head shoot one blue grouse and took a coyoute at 145 yards. Will try my first brain tan on the yote. Left the grouse for the "kids" camp supper.

So, hope it went well for the rest of you who hunted co!

My wife and buddy and I taged out, one bull one cow one doe.
:thumbsup:

Congratulations!

If I'm going to kill an elk with ml this year it will have to be during the first elk rifle with my left over cow tag.

Also have a late season leftover whitetail plains tag too so still a chance for ml deer!!

Love this time of year :)

Good luck marmotslayer.
If I was going to hunt bulls this year here in Gunnison first season would be the bomb!!! Bulls are going to be still rutting, three weeks of no pressure, above tree line where we can glass and pick our trophy's. I am guiding an old client with good legs. Have found a 325 class bull at 13,000 ft. The bull and his harem don't even go into the dark timber during the day, just laze around gettin some lovin above tree line :bow:

I sure envy you your lifestyle. OTOH, I would not have the energy to keep it up at my age! :)

We'll be there for the first light during that first elk season and as in the past years we've found as you have that they are still rutting and sounding off. Loads of fun! :) Most years on this hunt I could take a decent bull before the cow comes along but I'm not ready to commit my points and draw tag to a rifle season! :wink:

Let us know how your client does. Would like to see a pic of that bull!

will do marmotslayer
I just love the hunt don't need to have any antlers involved. I love the tast of young cow.
:bow:
good luck to you buddy.

Latest posts

Back