• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How do you carry your pistols?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spots

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I'd like to see some pics of holsters, belt carry, etc. Just show how you carry your pistol/pistols when trekking, hunting, whatever it is your doing. When I'm carrying around home on the farm, trekking, or doing anything else with my percussion pistols on, I'm carrying in a hollywood "gunfighters" rig that I had made by a good friend of mine for an excellent price.

If its just my 1851 Navy then I carry it kinda low on the hip.

holster1.jpg

holster3.jpg

If I'm also carrying my 1858 Army, then it goes in a crossdraw holster

holster4.jpg

holster5.jpg

Lets see your guys setups, that way I can get some ideas for my next setup.

Basic holster similar to the one you have your 1851 in and on my normal belt I wear when I wear jeans.
Sits pretty good on my hip and I can go about my day. It does tend to get heavy after awhile, so I only strap it on when I am alone for the day.
(I have an 1851, Pietta, .44, Confederate style.)

Howdy Spots! Glad to see you found your way here.

Here's the holster I made for my '51 & '58 (I've altered the angle of the belt loop since I too these)....

photobucket-42180-1340572989442.jpg

photobucket-29335-1340572990201.jpg

I generally wear it as a crossdraw, but it doesn't at as extreme an angle as yours does. Maybe 60º from horizontal. I figured that this way I could wear it as a right-side with a slight backward tilt as well as a left-side crossdraw.

I usually carry all my BP handguns in the civil war style flapped holster. I consider it safer that way. My property is mostly woods. And since I do civil war reenacting I don't have to invest in different style holsters.

It depends on the pistol.

For the Paterson's, I use a set of enamelled holsters that I copied off of one used during the Mexican War:

Photo_44E03077-85D3-2227-2A9B-B022E26A14F51.jpg

or one copied off of a holster carried by a Texas Ranger in the early 1840s:

185807_562508646542_54103972_32218653_5232486_n.jpg

For the '51 Navy I use a matched enamelled holster and cap box with fail leather binding that I made based on my own tastes:

216540_578039283022_54103972_32289014_8103977_n.jpg

Cody

I carry mine in this slim Jim high on my left hip using the same belt I use to hold up my pants.
1860army-1.jpg

Swampy made me this holster. I told him I wanted a crossdraw that had enough of an angle that I could sit on the ground and not stuff the barrel in the dirt and still draw the gun. He designed this extreme crossdraw to suit my needs.
Swampy said it's a "2nd" because he didn't like the way the trigger guard shows. I think it's great! The man makes a nice holster!

HPIM1681.jpg

HPIM1682.jpg

IMG_9632.jpg

Like that cross draw rig and how you carry it. Unfortunately, my belly would probably get in the way of the hammer.

Don

Very nice looking rig! Everyone's looks good, actually. Here's my home-made holster and belt for my Remington 1858

belt2.jpg

I do have a couple of pistols with belt hooks but mostly I prefer leather holsters, whether belt or shoulder rig, and being too cheap to buy them I naturally make my own. I swear some people spend more on a belt and holster than on the gun they carry. :haha:
2colts-2.jpg

The pouch has a left handed slim Jim attached to the back so that when worn on the left side my 1851 is in a natural position for right handed cross draw.
comancheholster.jpg

This is a simple right handed slim Jim. It actually holds a breech loading .410 pistol but is the common style for a cap & ball revolver.

Shoulderrig.jpg

Here's a combo belt/shoulder holster. There is a belt loop on the back but it's really too long for comfortable carry on a belt so I keep the shoulder harness attached.

I really like the holster/pouch you have there! Nice idea! And I agree with you on the making it yourself rather than spending what you did on your handgun! :thumbsup:

I can't take credit for the idea. One of the Comancheros in "Outlaw Josie Wales" had a holster attached to a pouch. His holster was on the front flap of the pouch, which would mean flipping the gun up to gain access to the pouch. By putting the gun on the back of the pouch the gun is still just as accessible and the pouch is much more so.

I'm sorry Joe - I ain't that bright... :(

Is that a combination 'possibles bag/pistol holster' you made in the first pic?

Hmpfffff! I may have to have a go at that! That could be a brilliant concept even if it isn't 'period correct'!

I made that rig for cowboy action shooting, under the flap there are shell loops for 12 gauge shotshells and the pouch holds everything needed to keep the cap & ball revolvers popping.

I carry my replica Colt 1860 Army in a civil war type flapped holster worn crossdraw on my left side. I`ve always prefered to crossdraw a pistol vs wearing them on my shooting side and also carry my modern handguns this way in the field.

Back