• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How do you keep box call quiet???

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skychief

69 Cal.
Reaction score
Do any of you have any secret tips to keep a box call quiet when not in use?

I have an old one that I want to use this year, hence, the question.

In the past, I have used a rubber band, but, it still tries to yelp when walking from one setup to another while packed away.

I suppose I could try a tighter or more rubber bands, but, thought I would ask the collective intelligence gathered here for any alternatives.

So, do you have a better solution?

Thanks, Skychief.

Rubber bands ---- but---- you need a bunch of them. Depends on what they are. And use another to tie the bunch to gather so you can get them all off at once and keep them in a bunch. Works great on the M. L. Lynch of which I have one that has accounted for many turkey dinners.

Slip a piece of plastic between the striker and the edge of the box so they can't touch. I use a sandwich baggie. Then rubber band or string around it. A thin piece of paper would seem OK, but not so, it will yelp with that in between.

Spence

Gentlemen, thanks for not short changing my comment regarding the "collective intelligence gathered here"!

I will follow up on both suggestions and any more that follow. :bow:

I use a rubber band and double wrap it near the handle end of the call. When i need to use it i just slip the band over my wrist so i dont loose it. Also my call is a Lynch fool proof model that is one sided so that helps. On a double side call fold some toilet paper a couple times and put it between the paddle and the box then band it down. It works really well.

This same question has been keeping me awake for the last two nights, funny that it would come up here at the same time. I haven't done it yet, but my best brainstorm has been to drill a 3/8" hole down through the paddle and into the end block of the call. Opposite end but relative to how the lid is screwed on. Then take a piece of scrap ramrod and put a little eye screw in the end to hold the rubber band and peg together. At this point I will insert peg and then wrap rubber band around the call. It just might work if you don't mind drilling a hole in a fancy call.

I use a rubber band to hold the lid steady on my old Lynch box call. The idea of something between lid and box is great.

Skychief said:
Do any of you have any secret tips to keep a box call quiet when not in use?

I have an old one that I want to use this year, hence, the question.

In the past, I have used a rubber band, but, it still tries to yelp when walking from one setup to another while packed away.

I suppose I could try a tighter or more rubber bands, but, thought I would ask the collective intelligence gathered here for any alternatives.

So, do you have a better solution?

Thanks, Skychief.

YOu need a small loop of cloth/wool that will go over the handle. then use a rubber band to hold the handle in place.

I know what you mean, a squawk when you don't want it could be disastrous. I use a piece of deer skin between the striker and the body. This will take off some chalk so you need to re chalk. The calls I make have a place to keep a small chalk. This way I have chalk with me in the woods. Go get em.

Take your grease gun and squirt a bead down the uprights, then leave it in the truck. :haha: The Kiss system is take a paper towel and put between the the lid and box. Rubber bands on the old lynch is good but I find they dont last to long and will stick to the call when they get real old. Find some hair bands instead of rubber bands. If you get the crunckly ones you can use one over and one under the lid to keep quite and not have to use the paper towel.

Small rubber band on the paddle part. roll it forward to silence. It prevents contact. roll it back to call.

I just use a piece of wadded up tissue paper between the two halves of mine. But keep in mind, I can't call a turkey to save my life. :grin:

Years ago I found a camo cloth pouch that my box call fits in nicely. It has an elastic strap with velcro on the end and a belt loop. I tuck the call in the pouch, secure the velcro strap and no problem. The best thing is, it was on clearance and I paid $2.98 for it. I haven't seen one since.

I just put my Lynch box call in the bottom of a gallon ziploc bag and roll it up, stick it in the vest...also keeps it dry in case I'm caught in a shower

Get out in the woods, listen to tapes, youtube, etc. Most real birds don't call all that good either. Don't over call, think like you call, kind of like you was begging. Make a few clucks and just sit and wait. If he gobbles, make him wait, and a few more soft clucks. They like to come up a ridge, better than go down. Move if you can to get above them. They don't like to cross fences and creeks. I've made some bad calls and still had them come in. I've made what I thought was good calls, and they would not come in. If they are gobbling over and over from the same spot, they're probably with hens and you would have a tough time calling one in. Good luck.
I usually got a paper towel, stuck in the box. Old Lynch World Champion, rules.

I stick a small piece of Styrofoam coffee cup under the lid of my Lynch World Champion. Some times those accidental squawks sound better than my real callin. Mike

Back