• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

how far can you shoot accurately?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well that pretty much depends on your load, the gun, and how much you practice with it. Some can't hit past 25 yds, and others can make hits at 100. Just depends on how much time and effort you put into it, taking into consideration you have a well made gun to begin with.

I agree with Rebel, as with anything, you will get out what efforts you put into it...

Having said that, there is no reason you can't hit targets at 75-100+ yards, keeping within the design limitations of the musket...

Remember that a smoothbore's group will be larger than a rifle's group at a given distance, you really can't compare the two fairly, an 8 inch group at 100 yards with a rifle is not so good, but that same group from a smoothbore is fair shootin...

No doubt, cloverleaf groups from a smoothbore can be done at close ranges, as with all firearms, the group will enlarge with distance...

What do you consider accurate?

For me, with my .66 cal fusil:

Hit a 10" pie-plate every time? Maybe 60 yards, if you count the edge nicks.

Hit a man-sized silhouette? Out to 100 yards I can poke it fairly regularly.

25 yard three-shot group? Maybe 3" on a good day.

Deer hunting accuracy? I would feel comfortable from 50 to perhaps 60 yards depending on conditions.

Now, if you're takin a smooth rifle of .56 cal or 24 or 20 bore with a proper set of sights. They'll carry out to 100 yards well enough in the right hands.

Stumblin and I had a contest one day, he with his rifle and me with my 20 ga. smoothie. We started at about 20 yards and kept backing up about 5 paces for each shot at an old air compressor tank. We got out to about 90 yards before I missed and he still hit the tank. I think that was the day he really started to believe in smoothies.

NoDeer

With my two smoothies I've hit all our targets on our woods walk, and have suceded in besting the rifle shooters on occasion for score. Some of our targets are over 100 yds. None the less for deer sized game, my limit is probably 40 yds out of respect for the animal. BJH

I'm killing the paper plate every time at about 75 yards with Bloody Bess.

Now that's probably a pretty big group, if you think strictly in terms of group size...but that tells me I can plunk one into the kill-zone every time at that range.

Rat

Doesn't it depend on the type of sights your musket has (as well as the quality of the barrel, of course)? Some have only a front sight, or none at all. Some have rifle-type front and rear sights (isn't that called a 'smooth rifle'?). Wouldn't having front and rear sights give you better accuracy at any given range?

Wouldn't having front and rear sights give you better accuracy at any given range?
SR,
i would certainly hope so!!! :imo: :results:
snake-eyes :peace: :) :thumbsup: :)

Doesn't it depend on the type of sights your musket has (as well as the quality of the barrel, of course)? Some have only a front sight, or none at all. Some have rifle-type front and rear sights (isn't that called a 'smooth rifle'?). Wouldn't having front and rear sights give you better accuracy at any given range?

I had a 1-3/4" barreled Colt .38 Detective Special and it had front and rear sights. My New Englander has a single front bead with no rear sight and it is FAR more accurate. :haha:

If the stock fits you well and the bore points where you're looking, a rear sight is just "fine tuning".

Back in Jolly Olde Englund the yeoman archers were expected to hit a 6 foot willow switch of thumb diameter at the base (the "clout") stuck in the ground . . . at 100 yards with a longbow! No sight reference but the tip of the arrow. And that would need to be placed at an imaginary spot about 20 feet over the tip of the clout.

It's amazing what the brain can work around with practice. The best ballistic computer in the known universe.

Well what Stump says is all good and true, but pull the rear sight off yer rifles and see what kind of groups you get.

:curse: :redface: :cry: :hmm:

My musket has sights.

Rat

Yes- Rat's right- two sights are more acurate than one.
: The trouble is, two sights aren't allowed in smoothbore competition. That said, my Bro won the trail walk once using his Bess and .735" round ball. He always places well near the top, but actually won it once. There are only 2 steel targets at a full 100yds. and he hit one of them, the rabbit.
: His Bess has a groove at the tang,breech junction, that allows a sighting of sorts, that is legal as it doesn't protrude. His .77 cal. Getz barrel has been bent to allow perfect sighting at 40 yds. using the bayonette lug and tang groove.

Latest posts

Back