• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How fast does it go?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bullofthewoods

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I know there are a lot of other variables to consider, but how fast (fps) is my projectile going? I am shooting a 0.490 RB, 0.018 pre-lubed PT, over 90 grains GOEX. I am shooting a 50 cal Traditions Shenandoah rifle (original barrel) 1:66 tiwst. Thanks for the help.

Bull

Check out the Lyman Black Powder Manual. At the back they have estimated velocities for varouse powder charges in most calibers. But you will have to know if you are using 3F or 2F.

Richard

Bull: I don't know the barrel length of that gun, but you can use a formula to determine the maximum amount of powder that can burn in any barrel.

Its: Bore diameter x Pi R Squared( .50( Diameter) divided by 2( to get the Radius(( R ))= .25, times itself( .25 x .25= .0625 times Pi( 3.1416)= 0.19635. Multiply that figure times 11.5 grains (per cubic inch), = 2.258, then multiply that number times the length of the barrel to get the maximum load of powder that can be fired in your gun.

To effectively burn 90 grains of powder you will need a barrel that is 39.8 inches long. I suspect that the barrel on your gun is shorter than that. A 36" barrel will burn 80 grains of powder. A 34" barrel will burn 75 grains of powder. A 31 inch barrel will burn 70 grains, and so on.

You can improve compreesion, raize chamber pressure, and create more barrel time to burn powder by using wads and fillers to increase the mass in front of the powder, or shoot conicals, that weigh more( more mass) than does a PRB. The conicals will eat up more powder but travel slower. Using the wads or fillers over the powder will allow the barrel to burn more powder while keeping the weight of the PRB the same. I prefer using fillers, as they are lighter in weight, while still requiring both compression and burning to push the PRB in front of them down the barrel. Because of the lighter weight, you don't get any appreciable increase in recoil. Shooting conicals definitely increases recoil! I can't tell you how much more efficient a barrel will be at burning more powder using the fillers. I have not done experiments on this. However, you can put newspaper, or an old sheet on the ground in front of your shooting bench to catch unburned powder, and try various amounts of powder with the fillers to see how much more burns and how much doesn't. My personal experience tells me that the same gun will burn more FFFg powder for its barrel length, than it will using FFg or Fg. I tested that in both a rifle, and then shooting blanks in a cannon! ( Sometimes doing these kinds of tests are just downright fun!)

Paul

CoyoteJoe said:
I'd guess about 1600 fps for 90 grains of 3f, if 2f then more like 1500.

I don't have my Lyman tables handy, but I'd guess your getting over 1600 fps with 90 gr powder (even with ffg). I'd guess closer to 1700- 1800 fps.

The Lyman BP Handbook (2nd ed) says for a .490 roundball in a 32 inch long 1:60 barrel the velocity for a 90 grain load is:
1768 FPS Muzzle velocity using FFg GOEX powder

1844 FPS Muzzle velocity using FFFg GOEX powder

For a 28 inch 1:48 twist barrel using the same ball and loads the velocity is:
1651 FPS with FFg
1830 FPS with FFFg

zonie :)

I would agree with the speeds zonie posted, so would my chrono. with 80gr of 3F schutzen im averaging around 1800. thats out of a 34inch GM barrel with 1-70. .490 hornady RB .018 PT patches. I have had some push a little over 2K but the average is around 1800FPS.

Back