• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How it started

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lonewolf465

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Guess I will be this started. In 1993, I bought an inline. Hated it. Sold it. Bought percussion Hawken. Shot a deer. Bought a flintlock. BIG learning curve! I was hiding under an old piece of farm equipment near a deer trail on an incredibly cold day. -20 with a 20 mph wind. I was so cold, I was going to call it day when a deer wandered down the trail. I shot and all I got was a flash in the pan. The only thought that went thru my mind was----I'm sure glad that wasn't a grizzly bear! Not sure why that was my first thought. Anyway, I reprimed and harvested my first deer with a flintlock. It's now 2012 and I have harvested several deer with the flintlock and it remains my favorite way to hunt deer. Nothing but REAL blackpowder and patched round balls. I just purchased Hawken percussion rifles for my son and son-in-law for Christmas. We shot them last week. I can't wait for the family muzzleloader hunt.

lonewolf465 said:
Guess I will be this started. In 1993, I bought an inline. Hated it. Sold it. Bought percussion Hawken. Shot a deer. Bought a flintlock. BIG learning curve! I was hiding under an old piece of farm equipment near a deer trail on an incredibly cold day. -20 with a 20 mph wind. I was so cold, I was going to call it day when a deer wandered down the trail. I shot and all I got was a flash in the pan. The only thought that went thru my mind was----I'm sure glad that wasn't a grizzly bear! Not sure why that was my first thought. Anyway, I reprimed and harvested my first deer with a flintlock. It's now 2012 and I have harvested several deer with the flintlock and it remains my favorite way to hunt deer. Nothing but REAL blackpowder and patched round balls. I just purchased Hawken percussion rifles for my son and son-in-law for Christmas. We shot them last week. I can't wait for the family muzzleloader hunt.

Excellent :hatsoff:

Around 1990 for me I stumbled on a CVA .45 Kentucy rifle kit. Hasterly built it in my youth and the bug bit so hard I can't do without a front loader of somekind now, that .45 would do 3" groups all day at 100 off hand! Took some fox's n' rabbit with regular.

Brits :thumbsup:

Around 1989 my little sister started dating a young fellow who we invited on our annual elk hunt/camping trip! One of the two rifles he brought was a 50 cal custom built Hawken, he married my sister and I fell in love with his smoke pole!

My first hunt with a 54 hawken flipped a deer on its rear.
Then needed a squirrel gun. Then a pistol or three. Then built a smoothie. Now lookin at building a pistol......

Started in 79 with an old 45 cal long rifle
bore was shot , allmost no rifling.
shot ok been at it ever since. just finishing a bess carbine to add to the collection.
still shoot the old 45 flinter.
will be going for a walk tomorrow morning.
looking for some deer sausage!!

Latest posts

Back