• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How Large

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BennyMac

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Does a possible bag need to be.?
Seems there is a lot of things we need to survive.
Maybe I'll fix up a full field marching pack .Like we had when I was on active duty.

The ones I make go anywhere from 6x10 to 9x14.Yer possibles bag is fer what don't go in yer shooting bag.Yer shooting bag is just supposed to hold the stuff for operating and maintaining yer smokepole.Possibles used to be flint & steel,a sewing kit,maybe a spare clasp knife,etc...Now they're for cell phones, keys and wallets :rotf: Just matters how much stuff you like to be burdened with!

I think there's been a lot of confusion between shooting bags and possibles bags. Starting out in the 1970's I had a big old possibles bag with everything in it. I was like a woman trying to find her lipstick, digging in that thing. For shooting, I now want a bag about 7"x9" at most, with an inner pouch for the lead balls, knife on the strap, powder measure hanging pn the strap, and powder hown staps integral. Patches, balls, are about all I want in there. Then reloading is no chore and very efficient.

I'll carry a haversack etc for all the other junk. That's sit-down work, cleaning a gun, disassembling, castin balls, etc.

Coon Skinner said:
Seems there is a lot of things we need to survive.
I disagree! The only real thing one needs to survive is between their ears. All the rest is frosting on the cake........

Absolutely, it is nice to have the knife, axe, filter, fire kit, food etc, and it makes survival much easier. But ultimately, none of the stuff is necessary.

After all, how many times have you heard of guys, with full packs of gear and supplies, being found dead because they didn't use their brain.

Good point!

I take only what I need: most of the time it is just my small shooting bag, horn, belt knife, my fire kit, and a small bible...it pays off to travel light...the rest is just stuff I want, to make the 'experience'. Like a mould and some lead to cast some ball, wool blanket or some jerk, chocolate and coffee if I am going to have a camp. I usually put all my extra wanted stuff in a haver type backpack frame so it is easy to carry and I can shead it at anytime I find something I want to explor or I want to move a little faster. Another reason I like to use a backpack is so I don't have some bag flopping around on my side and cutting into my neck.

:hatsoff:

Take care!

NORD

My shooting bag for my Bess is just Flints,a little leather ,a musket tool, a small oil bottle,some rags and a small shot pouch and it's still too much and I don't even carry the roundball in there, these are loose or cartridge carried in a belt bag as they weigh too much around my kneck...Mark

fwiw, i think rich nailed it in one.

you might want to try a few canvas 'dry runs,' but i think you'll settle on something that's surprisingly small what all is said and done.

msw

I've always found that if you have a bag, you'll end up filling it with all kinds of stuff you don't need.

Best to work out what you need to carry first then work out a way of carrying it. After all, its the stuff in the bag that counts. IMHO anyways.

Hi BTW, my first post here. :hatsoff:

I have a small belt bag with special places to hold a knife, ball board etc, and I have a back pack to carry everything else I might want.

I have a belt bag aka shooting bag that I converted from one of my smaller possibles bags. I just don't like wearing a bag on my shoulder.

Between the belt loops on the belt bag is where I stick my knife. My flint and steel has a sep. little belt pouch. Only think I wear hanging is my horn.

I do have a haversack if I'm going in the woods all day and want to take a bit of bread and cheese.

Back