• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How many shots can you get with 1 lb of black powder?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
how many grains are you using?there 454 grams in a pound.i believe there are 15 grains per gram.i shoot about 18 to 20 grains in my cap n ball 44 so for me about 400 shots im sure a rifle will eat powder a lot quicker.i would stay on the light side."hot loads" in my experience destroy accuracy,increase recoil and generally are a waste of powder.take a trip to the range find your "sweet spot" and stick with it

We don't weigh powder in grams.....We weigh it using Grains. Your calculations are off
18 grains per shot would give you 388/pound and 20 grains would give you 350/pound.

All you need to do is take 7000 and divide by the number of grains per charge.... So for easy math, 70 grain charges would yield 100 shots/pound....

Of course we always have waste and spillage or priming if your shooting a flintlock, to consider..

Oh! and we don't weigh powder we measure it by volume. :grin:

:rotf: how fun.
Little bore lots of shots, big gun lots less. I think the Brits though 35 to 50 for a bess. You can get about three hundred for a .36 or .32.

possibly a silly question but wouldn't an equal volume be of equal weight?if not where is the difference?thanks

swamp chicken said:
possibly a silly question but wouldn't an equal volume be of equal weight?if not where is the difference?thanks

I weigh out my load when I'm working it up. Then make a measure that holds that volume. After that I dispense by volume - but it is relatively consistent to weight.

Note that a volume of FFFg weighs about 6% more than the same volume of FFg.

.856 zillion to the minus 25th power

In a honesty, I really don't care for the kinds of statistics crowed over in cartridge mags and on youhootube like ball velocity and such like that. Guess that includes number of shots per pound of powder. At some point, some clown is going to argue about Swiss v. Goex v. Pyromaniacdex v. Baby powder and the relative velocity of a given weight ball and caliber while using pure lead or high alloy on the second Tuesday of a particular week and while wearing argyle socks and endeavoring to not get their undies in a twist.

When your horn starts getting light, fill it up and don't sweat the small manure. :doh:

MountainRanger said:
.856 zillion to the minus 25th power

In a honesty, I really don't care for the kinds of statistics crowed over in cartridge mags and on youhootube like ball velocity and such like that. Guess that includes number of shots per pound of powder. At some point, some clown is going to argue about Swiss v. Goex v. Pyromaniacdex v. Baby powder and the relative velocity of a given weight ball and caliber while using pure lead or high alloy on the second Tuesday of a particular week and while wearing argyle socks and endeavoring to not get their undies in a twist.

When your horn starts getting light, fill it up and don't sweat the small manure. :doh:

:rotf: :metoo:

100 just like the numer of roundballs in a box. I thought that how it was susposed to be done. :hatsoff: :idunno: Now if I could just get 100 strikes on a flint that would be the cats rear end! :haha:

smo said:
100 just like the numer of roundballs in a box. I thought that how it was susposed to be done. :hatsoff:
I only get about 85 shots per box since I dry ball about 15% of the time :grin:

Back