• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

how many shots with co2 unloader

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

george tennant

32 Cal.
Reaction score
havent opened it up yet ,but how many times can one co2 cartidge unload a.50 cal hawken befoe it runs dry?it only came with one catridge will use it for stuck balls just curious ,will buy extras next trip to wally world ,sportsmen warehouse where i got it didnot have the extras

I use the cartridges for A/C work and I get around 4 shots from one..Get a pack of 12

rem700nut said:
how many shots with co2 unloader

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

havent opened it up yet ,but how many times can one co2 cartidge unload a.50 cal hawken befoe it runs dry?it only came with one catridge will use it for stuck balls just curious ,will buy extras next trip to wally world ,sportsmen warehouse where i got it didnot have the extras

Depends. I've got up to half a dozen when the balls pop out on the first quick squirt. If it's harder to move them, you're going to get less. Then there's caliber. Small ones don't need much gas at all.

Also depends on the individual discharger unit. If the O-ring seal is dry or the trigger isn't a good fit, it's going to leak all your gas between sessions. I keep the O-ring lightly lubed on mine, and I can go weeks between uses without seeming to lose any gas.

Also helps to have one of the newer models with a trigger lock. My old one didn't have it, and it kept discharging a little gas now and then when it rattled around in my shooting box. The new one with the lock isn't an issue.

Swamp Rat said:
Ahh no no no, not the one I have. I have gotten four shots out of a cartridge.
Which cartridges are you using? I have the cartridges from Cabelas and it is a one shot deal. They are small cartridges, then take into account barrel length and caliber, the pressure required to blow out the round then a good blow to get all the powder out and your done.

Yes Claude, I have a discharger I got from cabelas and using co2 refills that say genuine innovations I have popped out a charge in my .12 ga fowler four times using the same cartridge.

For the sake of the original poster I have to add that I only had to use it a couple of times and that was to help out a couple of guys at the range that were using tight fitting sabots with pistol bullets in fast twist modern front loaders, PRB's and fowler loads would require less pressure so I could see getting a couple out of one cylinder.

-----what in the world did the poor guys do in the olden days with out one of these-----

rubincam said:
-----what in the world did the poor guys do in the olden days with out one of these-----

Lots of screwing and jerking. I've got the old tools, but I'll take the CO2 any day. I clear the bore after each day of hunting, rather than leaving a charge overnight or longer. Screw and jerk your balls day after day, and you'll like CO2, too.

I use mine mainly for dis-charging loads every night when I'm done the hunt.Most times I get 2 discharges but once in awhile,when the weathers wet or really cold I only get one or maybe none to a cylander.I suspect the load is use is fairly tight and the wet damp weather swells the patch.I have unloaded as high as 4 at the range in the summertime.
co2discharger002.jpg

Thats similar to the one I have except my handles slightly different....could be that crazy Canadian metric system you got goin on up there. :blah: :grin:

Swamp Rat said:
Thats similar to the one I have except my handles slightly different....could be that crazy Canadian metric system you got goin on up there. :blah: :grin:

Could be...Most everything up here is Nuts...when I drink a Pint of beer it's 341 Mls :confused:
But that Discharger was from Cabelas and them Cylanders(If you look in the upper left hand corner of the box)Says made in the USA.See the price on the box?After taxes they are approx a 1$ a cylander :shocked2: Is the price comparable in the US?

I've only used my CO2 discharger to actually discharge a dry-ball 7 times in the time I have had it (about 7 years), and six times, they weren't mine. I do, however, use it to clear the fire path on a semi-regular basis, usually when shooting out of the bag on a woods walk. I get about 6 to 8 "clearing" shots per cylinder. Maybe 3 or 4 for actually removing a ball. Keep in mind that if you discharge a ball, return the discharger to your box and try to use it again next week, it will probably be empty . . .

Back