• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How much meat would this be?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nealglen37

32 Cal.
Reaction score
This fall I have the tags to 5 deer (one buck, and five does). My dad has two doe tags. Assuming we fill every tag we have how many pounds of meat would this be? How large a freezer would I need?

Thanks

A big buck will fill up about 2 paper grocery sacks when he's fully processed. A little bambi type might fill up one. Depends a lot on how big your deer are... and your freezer. :grin: Good luck.

Yeah, was gonna say considering you can kill one that weighs roughly 60 lbs to anywhere up to close to 300 if your really lucky, thats a big weight difference. We run two freezers here and generally put 4 to 6 deer in them and have room for other stuff as well.

On yearlings, you get about 35 lbs. of meat, boned out. On 1 1/2 year old does, expect about 60 lbs. on average. We are talking whitetails, not sika. On bucks, you can get upwards of 100 lbs. of meat boned out, and on the really big boys, more than that.

These are just rules of thumb, and your experience will vary depending on where you hunt, how much rain and nutritional feed the deer have during the year, the condition of the oak and acorn mast crop, the presense or lack thereof of corn and soybeans, and sorghum, and other factors. Here in the Corn Belt, our yearlings ( 6 months and less) weigh in at 85 lbs. dressed weight. That is as much as some 1 1/2 year old does. We also have bucks that go over 300 lbs, dressed, and a lot more that top 250 lbs. dressed. Figure at least 150 lbs. of meat boned out. If you leave the bones in( shame on you!) you will obviously need more space in the freezers. Bones, fat, and sinew in deer have enzymes in them that sour the meat, and make it tough, even when frozen.

Thanks for information.............I will be hunting in Nebraska, close to the Missouri river.

i have a 5 cubic foot freezer that's the size of one of those office friges that will hold 3 good sized deer after bout 1/3 of the deer going to jerky....i'd say an upright freezer of bout 13 cubic foot in size would work well :v .........bob

I get 70 lbs of meat from an average doe(every thing,neck,rib,burger,etc) that is 2and half years old so probably around 460 to 500 lbs of meat.
:thumbsup:

We have actually weighed the boneless meat { not including sausage meat or the neck} from numerous adult deer and the average is 40 lbs. Of course we are very fussy and trim accordingly. So if the live weight of an average doe is 130 lbs and that of an average buck 170 lbs., the average of the 2 would be 150 lbs. Excluding guts,hide,bone,neck, trimmings and sausage meat, the average live weight of 150 lbs. yields 27% of boneless meat {40 lbs}. There are all sorts of exceptions to the average weights of Wisconsin whitetails listed, but the run of the mill adult deer come in pretty close to the average 150 lb weight. Heck, a few years ago I shot a huge ten pointer that weighed over 300 lbs live and never weighed the boneless meat which was mixed in w/ other deer sausage meat because it was so tough. Would have been interesting to see how much boneless meat that buck yielded. If the 27% would have been applied, the yield would have come out to 81 lbs which I think would have been slightly light seeing the meat to bone ratio is better on a buck of this size......Fred

Back