• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How Much Powder for Elk with GPR & Conical?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vostok

36 Cal.
Reaction score
My Fellow Muzzleloaders;

I recently acquired a .54 cal. Great Plains Hunter barrel with the fast twist rifling for a conical bullet. Until now I have been hunting with a .50 cal. fast twist.

I primarily go after Elk in CO and WY. My typical shot is ~50 - 75 yards.

Any recommendations on load size for this rifle and caliber? I am shooting a self-moulded Great Plains Bullet .450 grains - also from Lyman.

I have seen some threads in the past on this subject, but can't seem to line up the search terms correctly to get a hit on "advanced search".

Thank you for your advice :bow:

I would (and do) use 75 grains fff and a lubed 28 gauge felt wad. Works fine for me but there will be other options and opinions forthcoming.

I had problems finding a load for my 54 bullet shooter...............then by chance, I went to the Goex Site...........they have a load chart! and.................guess what it said to use with a 460 grain bullet? :hmm:

Link to Goex Load Chart

It worked very well for me! :grin:

And don't forget to use a heavy "WAD" under the bullet, that also helped my groups.

I also have a .54 GPH and mold the Lyman 450 grain Plains Bullet.
I get excellent accuracy with 85-100 grains of Goex 2f and a lubed felt wad under that bullet.
I also get excellent accuracy out of Lee 300 and 380 grain REAL bullets as well as 430 grain Maxi-balls I mold.
The GPH is a great shooter.

Huntin Dawg

Huntin Dawg;

Thanks for the info. I just love the rifle. I know the true purists will argue that it is not a true Hawken and fires a modern bullet etc. But I just think it is the funnest rifle to shoot and with the .50 cal. I was really accurate with the Great Plains bullet even without a wad under it. I am hoping for the same results on the .54.

Happy hunting to you. :hatsoff:

BS;

So now I am having one of those "why didn't I think of that" moments. :redface:

It looks like the Goex chart has it nailed. Thank you very much for pointing me in the right direction. Once again this forum has been a treasure trove of information. Sorry about the brain fart - thanks for setting me straight! :bow:

Styr said:
BS;

So now I am having one of those "why didn't I think of that" moments. :redface:

It looks like the Goex chart has it nailed. Thank you very much for pointing me in the right direction. Once again this forum has been a treasure trove of information. Sorry about the brain fart - thanks for setting me straight! :bow:

You are very welcome! :grin:

I have not had much luck with the LEE 300 gr REAL bullet. The accuracy at 50 yards is good (cloverleaf), but the group opens up (8"+) at 100 yards. I have tried with and without a felt wad and various charges of both Goex 2F and 777. This is out of a GPH that groups very well at 100 yards using Hornady 425 gr bullets. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

scott t said:
I have not had much luck with the LEE 300 gr REAL bullet. The accuracy at 50 yards is good (cloverleaf), but the group opens up (8"+) at 100 yards. I have tried with and without a felt wad and various charges of both Goex 2F and 777. This is out of a GPH that groups very well at 100 yards using Hornady 425 gr bullets. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

I have not tried felt wads, I have only used thick card stock. It helped my groups.

I have never had much luck with the Lee bullets, either...........but then I have not tried them with a wad! :hmm:

Latest posts

Back