• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

how much powder?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tuscan

32 Cal.
Reaction score
well, was shooting 45grs out of mine armi sport .45 kentuckian rifle behinde .44 prb and, that was too much for punching paper. tryed 25grs and, POI is same! :hmm: that aint normal! i was expecting lower shots but, nothing happen. it really fun to shoot 25grs, no noise, no recoil and, since i dont have much expirience with bp, how do you load for 25 yard plinking?

tuscan said:
tryed 25grs and, POI is same! :hmm: that aint normal! i was expecting lower shots but, nothing happen.

I expect that at 25 yards. I sight in all of my rifles to hit point of aim at 75 yards with full power hunting loads. For the most part that puts them slightly high at 50 yards and right on the money at 25 yards. Dropping to light loads for small game and plinking doesn't change point of impact at 25 yards in the least, as far as I can tell. Most (depending on the height of the sights above the barrel) drop to pretty near dead on at 50 yards.

I'll qualify that. Those are sight-ins with my "deer" and bigger guns. I sighted my 32 and 36 cals in dead on at 25 yards and haven't shot them with heavy loads or past 50 yards. They're just slightly below right on at 50 yards with the light loads I use though, and a little high at 30-35 yards. That tells me those light loads would be pretty low at 75, though.

Come to think of it, I came at it "from the other end" with my wife's 54 cal Deerstalker. We sighted it in right on at 25 with 35 grains of 3f, then upped the charge to 60 for her "hunting" load. Once that was done I made her a powder measure that actually throws 80 grains, wanting her to have a little more power but not wanting to spook her. We've never shot it past 50, but other than noise and recoil you'd have trouble telling the 35 grain load from the 80 grain load looking at the targets. I'm betting it would be 2-3" low at 75 as it's sighted right now, though.

it illegal to hunt :cursing: in croatia with bp so i dont need hunting loads.
thanks boys :hatsoff:

tuscan,
That is a bummer not being able to hunt
with B/P :( Just wondering what is available
to hunt in Croatia,do you hunt and what
do you use??? If paper is the only choice,it sure beats no choice at all...When it comes to B/P :hmm:
snake-eyes :hatsoff:

only modern guns are allowed for hunting.
no bp, no bow,spear or tomahawks. you say you go shooting on a trails? i understand trail means a private land or forest with targets at various
distantces. u cant do that here. u can if u want to end up in a jail.

I think it is time to move to an country where you can do the things you want to do.! So many of us here in the states don't realize how fortunate we are ! :v

Latest posts

Back