• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How old is this shot/powder measure?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ken Morrison

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I bought this powder and shot measure from Dixon's last spring, they had several in the case. The measure has a shot scale on the left side and a powder scale in drams on the right side of the step adjustments.
How old is the measure?
SANY0563.jpg

Thanks for your help, hunt safely.

I've got a couple of those. I bought them new a couple of years ago. They are handy little items.

Did they say it was an antique? You can still get them as reproductions from lots of places. TOW is one that comes to mind.

It looks old, body is made from brass plated with something that could be nickle but it's wearing off.
I'll post the name on the measure tomorrow.
Thanks for your help.

Looks like a

No. 8521 Ideal Powder and Shot Measure combined. Nickel plated cap, wood handle. Each 9c; postage, extra 2c.
Sears, 1897. :grin:

As a follow up the measure is made by U H Co, Torrington, Conn.
E-bay has a mesaure for auction that is indicated as being made in the 1890.
Shoot safely.

Actually that measure was made well into the 20th century- probably up until the Great Depression. They are very common to find at auctions, and antique sales.

Snake eyes, Thank you for the recommendation. Great site, I've never seen it before.
There goes another few hours on the web.

Mine look pretty old now, too. The nickle is mostly gone and the brass is tarnished from handling and there are dings from being carried in my shooting bag. The rose wood handle has held up well though. Mine are of English make.

Back