• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How to keep Suede Possibles Bag Clean

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jf19451

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I got a suede possibles bag for Christmas and it is a medium to light brown. When I shoot Black Powder my hands get pretty dirty and this thing is going to look really bad after a few outings. Any recommendations on what to use to protect it. Or should I sell it and get a regular leather one?

That isn't dirt or nasty those is memories in the making,,,use it and years from now recall where you were,who you were with when it happened ,,I have a suede bag to and the dog won't play with it but the memories ,,, priceless,,I figure the only way to keep all my gear in perfect/pretty condition ,, I have to stop using it ,,, don't see that happening till Ive gone beaver,,,,till then use it and enjoy all the good times ,,

You could seal the leather with beeswax or Sno-Seal or many other products. I use Sno-Seal on my leather products, it contains a fair amount of beeswax and seals up the leather really well. It won't prevent ALL stains/soiling and it will reduce the "fuzziness" of the suede, giving it a slicker surface like regular leather.

Thanks for the advice. I'll keep it and try some of that Sno Seal, and let it get some character.

Ye don' want ta look lik a tendurfoot jus' out o St Louuie, does ye? :td:

Em Injens jus lov ta see em youngun's a' comin'.

The label on the Sno Seal says not to use on sueade but it dont say why .Curt

Check with a good shoe shop. My wife has some kind of stuff she uses to clean suede, and I'm pretty sure the shoe repair shop was her source.

Curt said:
The label on the Sno Seal says not to use on sueade but it dont say why .Curt

Because it won't look like suede after you apply the Sno seal - which may be a good thing. After all, who wants to go running around in the woods with a suede bag :idunno:

Well, as a matter of fact I do, or something similarly quiet any time I'm in thick brush.

Veg tanned and many other leathers sound like a brass band scraping and popping through the brush. But suede, elk, deer, etc, slip through with nary a whisper.

All in whether a guy wants to look good or hunt good. :wink:

You might find some concoction to seal it and keep it looking new but if it were mine, I'd just use it and let it freely gather the signs of actual use. I have several bags and they all have gained a nice "patina" of burned black powder residue, dirty hands and a few spots of squirrel and deer blood. I think of them as beauty marks, stories to be remembered and told over a camp fire. Do as you wish but if it was my bag, I'd just let it gather some great hunting and target shooting stories for telling around the camp fires of the future. :hatsoff:

If you use Sno-Seal on suede it will "flatten the knap" of the suede, making it appear almost the same as regular leather.

I have cleaned suade with saddle soap but it will flatten the nap, as said above all your greasy hand prints will make your bag look lived in and loved. Mink oil helps protect it too. IMHO veggi tanned cow hide makes the best looking bags.

It tends to Matt down the suede, dirt and handling make it shiny. A brass brass raises the nap, smoking will maintain waterproof quality. Hang the empty bag over a cool smoldering fire, rotate often.

I use it on bark tanned deer and realy like the way it looks .Have never used sueade though.The new Sno Seal smells different than the old stuff so i guess they may have changed something.Dont know why. Curt

Well, I'm not too much for the clean thing, just gets dirty all over again. I think the pc cleaner is white clay, I think that's how the NDNs did it. I read something a few weeks back on a leather cleaner- some new modern whatever- but it was essentially white clay.

My sorta suede hunting bag hasn't been touched since I bought it....except w/ my dirty, grimy hands and it looks exceptional w/ that well used look.

Snow Seal would be a mistake....the stuff is sticky and picks up all sorts of junk....it also changes the texture of the leather......Fred

Back