• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

how to make a loading block

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scottprice

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I think the loading blocks look pretty cool and are more traditional than the plastic preloads i currently use...

does anyone have some examples i can follow to make one? i shoot 50 cal

also...the patch and ball will be in the loading block....but what do you guys use to store your charges

thats what i thought. id like to find something that can hold a premeasured charge. but i guess if i had to measure from a horn wouldnt be too big of a deal

or take some horn or antler pieces and drill/cork them to a pre-determined size to hold your charges! essentially like making a measure just with a detachable plug or cap so the charge is already in it. :thumbsup:

If only you had a snaphaunce.... I would suggest a string of 12 apostles. They can be used to hold shot, prime, and premeasured powder! The reason I mentioned snaphaunce is that those guns were in use apostles were common but they would just look silly being lugged along with a lancaster.

gus13 said:
or take some horn or antler pieces and drill/cork them to a pre-determined size to hold your charges!
now thats a very cool idea, thanks gus!

keep the ideas coming guys! much appreciated

For the smooth bore and trail shoots on rainy weather I use a waxed paper paper cartridge for powder. For hunting I use the plastic tubes horse wormer comes in with a tapered dowel rod plug for carrying powder charges. To get the precise hole size in loading blocks I drill a fractional size hole just under the desired size and the use a taped dowel rod in the drill press with a slot in it and sand paper wraped around it to "taper ream " the exact size I need. This gives a block that is easy to load yet holds the patched ball solid. :idunno: :idunno:

The easiest way to make loading block holes is with a drill press and specially filed speed bore bits. For instance for .50 cal take a 9/16 speed bore bit, dress it down to .510 plus a bit, drill a hole in some scrap. Try your favorite patch and ball combo. If too lose file another .005, about two strokes of the file on both sides of the bit. Then try again, file a bit if necessary to find the fit you want. Thats all there is to it. Two or three trys and you are ready to use good matierial to make a loading block you want to carry around for a while.

Wick Ellerbe said:
Sometimes there is more than one, and sometimes I have been able to reload to try for another.

Been there, done that. When you have multiple tags, up here one can shoot 3 deer in ten minutes. I've done it. So for some of us its not a matter of not missing, its a matter of being able to reload quickly for deer # 2...

B.Habermehl said:
The easiest way to make loading block holes is with a drill press and specially filed speed bore bits. For instance for .50 cal take a 9/16 speed bore bit, dress it down to .510 plus a bit, drill a hole in some scrap. Try your favorite patch and ball combo. If too lose file another .005, about two strokes of the file on both sides of the bit. Then try again, file a bit if necessary to find the fit you want. Thats all there is to it. Two or three trys and you are ready to use good matierial to make a loading block you want to carry around for a while.

I have found that appropriate sized drill bits are available. I make a tad undersized so they can be sanded larger by the end user to get a proper fit with his ball/patch combo. I will find a desirable piece of wood and plane to the thickness of the intended bore. e.g. 1/2" for .50, etc. I champfer both sides of the holes after drilling then rub some beeswax around the inside. (after proper sizing, of course)
bulletblock.jpg
[/img]

I store mine, powder in Elderberry stems hollowed out with one end plugged solid and a poplar plug on other end. Any soft wood will work for the top plug. Made one that had powder in one end and ball in other,middle plugged, stopper on each end. Dilly

Loading blocks - a little on the fancy side (made out of ebony and kauri), but easy to make. I drill the holes undersize and ream from both sides with a tapered reamer to get exactly the right size.

BulletBoard1.jpg

EbonySet2.jpg

Reamer

TaperReamer1.jpg

I started this one with a 1/4" bit and opened it out to .66" with a pen knife and chainsaw file. It's a piece of furring strip (cheapest lumber in the yard).

HPIM2713.jpg

If you size them so a bare ball just slips through the patched ball will be good and snug.

HPIM2602.jpg

IM000565a.jpg

The three holer slips in a leather loop on my horn strap and usually I just carry the horn with that, measure attached to the horn neck, for whitetail hunting. No bag at all.

do you have a website or buisnes or something? i might want to buy one or have you make one? could you and how :thumbsup: :applause: :hmm: mutch

Latest posts

Back