• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How to Pin a rod

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spot Shooter

40 Cal.
Reaction score
RollingB,

You told me to pin the ramrod, but I didn't really ask how you do that. I'm figuirin' ya meant thet I should peen over the the brass on both ends of the rod so it ain't easy to pull out.

Then I started thinkin' that you might have ment somethin' else.

Spot

Spot,.... I use a finish-nail, and drill a hole the same size as the nail 'bout 1/4" from wher the wood goes into the brass ramrod-end. File any "ridges" off the point of the nail, and tap'er thru the hole. Next, snip the nail off on each side of the ramrod-end leave'n enough nail on each side to "peen" with a ball-peen hammer on the "anvil base" of yore bench-vice. Smooth everthin up with a file (if it needs it) and yore done!!

Yup. Gotta agree with RollinB.
My method is to check out how far the wood goes into the brass rod end and mark the hole so it is about half way from the end of the rod on the brass.
assemble the brass on the rod and drill thru the whole thing. (Don't just drill thru the brass and try to drive the nail thru the wood or you will split the wood.)

I usually take the wood out of the brass and coat it with some epoxy and then re-assemble it and drive the nail thru like RB said. This is probably overkill but I know that brass end is not going to pull off no matter how hard I tug on it!!

I have also used brass rod for the cross pin and countersink both sides of the hole in the brass. I then peen the brass pin so it fills up this countersink, file flush and polish it. When it's done a person can't hardly see the pin.

I take the rod to a belt sander & sand off the rod as I rotate it on the sander til I have it sanded down to where it will barely go all the way into the RR tip. Then I take a piece or emery cloth & roll it up & put it in the tip & twist the emery cloth in the tip to roughen the insides a bit.
Next I take a countersinking tool & I bevel the inside of the RR tip edges just a tad.

Then I take a round wood file & I make a couple light file marks in a spirial form (like a barber pole stripe) on the sanded wood surface where the tip goes over the ramrod.

Now take a piece of posterboard & cut a small circle of it & put the small dot of paper into the end of the RR tip to block the end of it where the threads start. Mix up some epoxy or microbed & put some in the hole & some on the sanded ramrod end. Push the ramrod end into the tip & twist it on tight forcing the excess glue out. Wipe off excess & let dry overnight. Stand on end with tip down.

After setting all night, take a auto centerpunch & make a punch about 1/4" from the wood/brass edge in the center of the tip. Drill it with appropriate sized drill for same size hole as a #3 finish nail. Drill it thru & then take a countersinking bit & bevel the edges of the holes you just drilled. Insert #3 finsih nail & tap it in snug & clip off excess with a pair of sidecuts or needlenose pliers. File excess on same side til you have about 1/32" of nail sticking out. Put the nail head on your vice & on side sticking up peen it over carefully with a small hammer. File flush turn over & file down nail head flush.

RB,

Man I'm glad I asked that, I went to stake it by making in indent in the brass collar and thought. Hey that ain't gonna look right, and really won't make it that strong - then I thought about exactly what you just post'd.

Thanks again friend!

Musket,
Yer post's make me laugh so dang hard the dog's look'n worried I might keel over 'er somethin'. LOL! Duck tape.

Spot

No, don't stake it. When you do that you will bend the tip out of round & it will never look right. If you do it the way I instructed above, it will be round, smooth & it Will Not come off. I have never had a RR tip come off using the method I discribed & I have installed hundreds of them. Now this don't mean you will not break a RR. I have broke them off, twisted them in two, etc., but I have yet to pull one off that was put on as I described.

Also I must point out this is just how I do it, not that there is a right or wrong way of doing it, I am quite sure there are 49 dif successful ways of doing such, I just know this works for me.

Also I will add, the Worst thing you can most likely to do to your ramrod is cut a ring around it to mark you load. That will make a weak place there & if it breaks, it will snap like a twig there at the most unfortunate moment. (Usually as a large 12 pt. buck is walking away from ya at about 25 yards ! ha ha !)

Custom Muzzleloaders & Custom Knives

Latest posts

Back