• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Howdah Pedersoli Question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Interested in one of the 20 bore Pedersoli Howdah pistols:

86099-EC2-CABD-4-B49-8-E9-A-A2-A8760-AF5-EE.jpg

Do they have the awful patent breeches so many of the Italian guns have? What I mean is, is there a smaller chamber at the bottom of the barrels where the fire channel is? I’m hoping it’s one diameter all the way down, with the fire hole coming through the top or sides with no little pesky chambers to clean.

Anyone know? Thanks,

-Smokey

Besides, the little pesky chambers you speak of. They ain't an issue. Mine just get swilled out with hot water. No issues over twenty years playing with the things.

I don't like them, a bit of a nuisance, but have found that if they are NOT too much smaller than the bore, they ain't so bad. That's the case with my plain's pistol, and it hasn't been a problem. I clean that chamber with a slotted tip. It's only a little bit smaller than the bore. The worm also works good on it. Should be plenty people here that have that pistola, and can/could take a look down the bore and tell you just how much reduction or small it is.

They date back to the days when rifles went from flint lock to percussion, they are nothing new.

I have the Howdah pistol and it does have a patent breech but is not a problem to clean. Here is a poor photograph of my Howdah barrel with the breech.

IMG_0670.jpg

As far as cleaning is concerned, I use the MAP (Murphy's Oil Soap, Alcohol & Peroxide) solution. In order to get the breech clean, I put a large patch on a looped jag, soak it in the MAP solution and fold it like the photo below. Then I insert it in the bore, press tightly against the breech twist it around. Then I switch to a clean patch and repeat till one comes out clean.

IMG_0672.jpg

If you use the hot water method of cleaning, remember that the breech is hooked and the barrel can be removed. So immersing the breech in hot water and sucking it up with a tight patch around a jag will get it just as clean.

I really like this pistol and highly recommend it if you want to have fun. Don't let the patent breech discourage you from buying one.

Yep, there's not a giant difference between the bore, and the breech. Not hard to clean, not small enough to get clogged up with debris and crud easily. Flash hole looks nice and big, if that is the flash hole we are looking at. I believe that on my Plains Pistol, the flash hole comes in straight from the side. With the Howdee, the nipples are on top, which would be a nice direct path for the flash. Looks like a good breech, in spite of being "patent". Like '58 sez, don't let it stop you. We are such enablers, I can't believe it.

What I meant was that you should get one. Sort of like saying that it’s calling for you.

I feel that you are correct! But I am researching if it is possible to carry this gun loaded and capped safely. I understand there are things on the market that go around the nipples that protect against detonation if the half cock notch slips or breaks? If I were to spend so much on this gun, I’d have to carry it. Looks like a great snake gun and when loaded with buckshot or round ball a good defensive gun as well.

I have one and love it. It is amazing what it will do to a copperhead at the camp when it is loaded with 1 oz of #11 shot
Well heck, with that kind of load, you won't be able to save the skin for anything!

Sorry for the thread drift but I think there is something so cool about a snakeskin backed bow. You have to save the snakeskin for something. It's no good when it's full of holes.

100_9411.JPG
ODQ2OTk0QzE3NDBFN0VEMTk1RUI6Njk3OWFlYzBiOWM3ZTcxYWQyNTU3MzIwNmI3YTJiNzY6Ojo6OjA=
IMG_6809.jpg

I too am a fan of the snake-bow, but when Zon sees that...you in a heap-0-trouble boy! :)

He does...and never misses. Oh, you mean woodcarver? I never shoot snakes, unless I want the skin, or want to eat them. Don't know about Copper Heads, but Rattlers are good eating. However, I don't even shoot them then, just pin their head down with a stick, or the end of the bow, and then settle it with the knife.

Back