• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Howdy from Iowa

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well, I'm kind of an old fart, but I'm new to black powder. I did gunsmith work for years, so after cleaning other people's guns on a regular basis, I had no desire to use one that was going to require daily (when used) cleaning. I have been a traditional bowhunter for years, preferring longbows and recurves to those machines with training wheels that some call bows. I have nothing against those who use them; they are just not for me. I also fly fish and prefer flies I tie myself.

The simplicity of a traditional bow is probably what has finally drawn me into the world of traditional muzzle loading firearms. That and a TC Hawken kit I've had for about 25-30 years without taking it out of the box. I'm nearing completion of the kit now, so I'll be making smoke before long, assuming I can find primers and powder. :hmm:

Since I'm a hunter, I'm making a hunting rifle of the TC (a .50 cal BTW). I've draw filed and blued the steel parts using Brownell's Oxpho Blue. Oxpho gives a nice, deep blue that is very durable since part of the process is burnishing the finish with steel wool. Most of the cold touch-up blues will rub off with steel wool. Oxpho blue won't. I also used it to "antique" the brass parts, since I don't want shiny brass on a hunting arm. It Oxpho works pretty well for that as well. The brass has a bit more of a coppery look than the "antique brass" you see on door knobs and such, but I think it will look good on the finished rifle. I'm not good at taking pictures during the process, but I'll try to post some of the finished rifle. I plan to use dark walnut stain on the stock and finish it with Truoil.

I'm sixty for a couple months yet, and I've been married to the same woman for over 40 years. We have three wonderful children, two boys and a girl, who have given us five awesome grandchildren and will add another any day now. I worked in law enforcement for about 15 years, but my right knee finally forced me to find a new career. For 20 years I taught secondary language arts (English). I retired from full time teaching in 2010, but I sub quite a bit. I love the flexibility subbing offers, especially during deer season, though the pay is obviously not much to brag on. My wife worked for 34 years as an accountant before corporate downsizing forced her career change. She now works in financial services for a local hospital on a half-time basis, which is what she wants.

We bought a small farm/large acreage last year (36.5 acres), which has timber, a field for food plots, and a trout stream. It's about 5 minutes from the Mississippi River and 40 minutes from both of my boys. Yeah, it's heaven...okay, it's Iowa, but it's my field of dreams. It includes a two bedroom mobile home that is in good shape, so we have a summer/fall home that is close to kids and grandkids.

That's about it for now. I've been lurking around this site for a while now, trying to suck up as much knowledge as possible before I attempt this new venture. Seems like a great place to learn to me.

Welcome to the addiction. The bow hunting and fly tying skills will definitely help with abilities in the stalking/hiding game necessary for muzzleloading. Ranges are similar, so getting close shouldn't be a problem for you. Sounds like you're well on your way with the kit, just keep a eye on the prize. Not real familiar with your end of Iowa...my wife was from the other end, north of Sioux City, though we did make a tour through the Davenport area looking for my goody ancestors! Back in the 1890's they believed the land speculators who had photos of sides of beef hanging from rafter ends and telling folks the air in south Texas was salty enough to cure beef! Well, they sold the farm, loaded it all on a choo-choo and off they went to Texas...just in time for the great 1900 hurricane! All except my grand dad and one of his brothers said, "I'm outta here" and went back to Iowa! Don't it just make you proud!?? :doh: :rotf:

Welcome to the forum.....Lots of good information here and the people are a great bunch.

Welcome :hatsoff: I hope you enjoy your TC Hawken. I have had mine for 35 + years and it has never failed me. Lots of good information and great folks here.

My folks are in Texas right now. They spend winters on Lake Texoma and have for over 20 years now. My daughter-in-law is from western Iowa near Manila. My sons both live in the Davenport area now, near De Witt. I've spent most of my life in the NE quadrant of Iowa. The Hawken in in its final stages now. I'm just waiting for the stain to dry, so I can start putting finish on it. I really like the way the dark walnut stain looks, much better than the washed out look of the factory model, IMHO.

welcome to the forum, you should post pics of your work in the gun builders forum when you have the chance. ever hunt ruffed grouse? according to the DNR they are up your way.

No on the grouse. I have not seen any if they are here, but I stopped hunting upland years ago. There just aren't enough pheasants around to make carrying a shotgun worth the time. I haven't heard a single pheasant at our acreage near Bellevue either nor around my boys' places west of De Witt. I get down your way fairly often, though I haven't been to Davenport in a while. I wish I had taken some pictures of the build, but I never think of it at the time, plus my hands are not usually fit for cameras during the process. I'll take some once it is together since I am close now.

yeah, not too many of them left on this side of the state. i used to hunt the goose lake public area every once in a blue moon i'd kick up a pheasant, but not often. now I jump across the river and hunt pheasants near kewanee IL. they have a controlled hunt site there, good times. post pics when you get her done.

30coupe, yours is one of the more descriptive first posts I've seen here in a while. Sounds like you have had a full, interesting and productive life to date, and I really envy you having family in close proximity, including grandkids!
Wife and I would love to have a few of same, but both our marriage-age daughters are in graduate school (mine at ISU in Ames), so they are in no hurry to start families.
Like you, I get to be 60 for two more months or so.
The venerable TC is a very friendly first muzzleloader. With your smithing background, I'll bet yours will look like a million bucks when you are finished with it. I like Oxpho Blue, too; in my limited experience it is by far the best of the cold blues.
Sure look forward to seeing your rifle when completed.
Hope to see many more of your posts!
Bill

Your pheasant post reminded me of the first time my wife and I drove to Iowa to see her family after we were married...my first time in Iowa and whining to Bev about nobody in this daft state knows how to make a road go angled and voila! Big couple of birds by Farmer Brown's fence...never saw one in the flesh before, but that's pheasants! Slam on the breaks and do a 180...roar back down the road, do another 180 and slam it to a stop by the fence. Jump out and run over to the fence, hollering and waving my arms to get them airborne just to see it! Sure enough to a guy who grew up hunting bobwhites and morning doves, they looked like B-52's getting off the ground! Wow!!

Got back to the pickup, all fired up and excited, Bev's chuckling to herself. I figure she's amused at my antics, but no...she points across the road and smiles. You guessed it, Farmer Brown is standing in his front yard, hands on hips, having a whiskey-tango-foxtrot moment!! :rotf: Wasn't much I could do but smile, wave and holler, "I'm from Texas!" You know he's still telling the grandkids at Christmas, "Once upon the time, I was out in the yard and this pickup goes sailing past.... :wink: :haha:

Wes/Tex said:
Your pheasant post reminded me of the first time my wife and I drove to Iowa to see her family after we were married...my first time in Iowa and whining to Bev about nobody in this daft state knows how to make a road go angled and voila! Big couple of birds by Farmer Brown's fence...never saw one in the flesh before, but that's pheasants! Slam on the breaks and do a 180...roar back down the road, do another 180 and slam it to a stop by the fence. Jump out and run over to the fence, hollering and waving my arms to get them airborne just to see it! Sure enough to a guy who grew up hunting bobwhites and morning doves, they looked like B-52's getting off the ground! Wow!!

Got back to the pickup, all fired up and excited, Bev's chuckling to herself. I figure she's amused at my antics, but no...she points across the road and smiles. You guessed it, Farmer Brown is standing in his front yard, hands on hips, having a whiskey-tango-foxtrot moment!! :rotf: Wasn't much I could do but smile, wave and holler, "I'm from Texas!" You know he's still telling the grandkids at Christmas, "Once upon the time, I was out in the yard and this pickup goes sailing past.... :wink: :haha:

I wish we still saw them like that. When I grew up they were very plentiful in NE Iowa. We practically lived on rabbit and pheasant during season. I remember once, when I was maybe 10 or so, not carrying a shotgun yet anyway, I walked out behind my grandparents place with my dad. We got to a corner fence post with some grass and brush around it and the pheasants started to get up. I counted only the roosters and got to 30. By that time my dad had his limit of three on the ground. I helped him pick them up and we walked back home to clean them for supper. I think the entire hunt lasted about 30 minutes from the time we left the house until we were back. I don't think I've seen that many birds in total in the last 20 years or so.

We also used to hunt jack rabbits, which were very plentiful and pretty fair eating as far as I'm concerned, though some find them kind of livery tasting. Now there are NONE! We don't even have a season on them here. It certainly isn't from all the hunting pressure, because very few people even hunted them. Makes me wonder why nobody seems to care that they are gone or what killed them off. I suspect farm chemicals, which is why nobody talks about it. Lots of $$$$ involved there.

i think it's alot of stuff, but mostly it's vastly different agriculture techniques. fence row to fence row cultivation, removal of hedge rows and wind breaks, more efficient combines which leave much less waste grain on the ground, increased predators, CRP loss etc.. unfortunatly the pheasants and quail are the losers in the deal.

Medic302 said:
i think it's alot of stuff, but mostly it's vastly different agriculture techniques. fence row to fence row cultivation, removal of hedge rows and wind breaks, more efficient combines which leave much less waste grain on the ground, increased predators, CRP loss etc.. unfortunatly the pheasants and quail are the losers in the deal.

I grew up on a farm, but we farmed the old fashioned way with almost no chemicals. We rotated our crops to limit pests and cultivated them to limit weeds. We used cow manure and a little starter fertilizer. We didn't get 200 bushel corn, but the soil was still alive. Now it is just a medium for holding chemicals. Whatever they sprayed on it has killed more than insects. Part of the lack of pheasants is due to the lack of insects the chicks need to eat when they are young. Adults do fine on seeds and grain, but the little ones need protein to grow. You won't find much of that in our corn and bean fields around here anymore. Obviously, that wasn't what killed the jacks, but the chemicals that took out the bugs seems to have gotten them as well.

Back