• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

huntin lodes

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sidelock

50 Cal.
Reaction score
Its gettin time again to load up so today went to my records about loads. Found that on July 15 1981 records show "Testing RB loads".All loads from my.50 T/C Hawken customized kit built. 1.5" sq bull .490 cast PRB.,.015" patches lubed with "Maxi-Lube", FFG real black. #1- @35 yd with 40 gr centered 1.5" sq.(my squirrel load). #2- @50 yd with 40 gr, 2 shots touching, 1.25" low. #3- 50 yd with 90 gr, 2"high 2 shots 1/2" apart. #4- 80yd,90 gr,4.5"high,2 shots, same vert.2" apart horiz. #5- 100 yd, 90 gr, 3.5" high. #6- 120 yd, 90 gr, "zero". Sept 20 2005 matched these results with the first time use of BB 10000 lube. Think I'll stick with these loads for this hunting season. I'm after elk, deer, and bear. (but I probebly won't even shoot if a shot comes along. I still love to hunt but don't shoot much any more):thumbsup:

My favorite load in .50 (Deerhunter from Trad.): 90 grs WANO PP, spittled wad, lubed 0,20mm patch, .490 selfcasted RB. at 50 m with 5 shots a 35mm group, free standing.With this load already 2 roebucks harvested. :hatsoff:

Regards

Kirrmeister

Is it still hunting if you don't shoot?Maybe a stick or a camera should be in your hand instead of a gun. :hmm: I'm Not trying to be a smartass either. :v

Huntin is huntin, shootin is shootin. I have taken maby 200 deer, lots of elk, bears, turkeys, bunches of small game of all kinds in years past, some with CF and some with ML. My family had to live on wild meat when I was a kid---- but I don't need to now and I only take what I can use and don't need any BADGES. :v

Halftail said:
Is it still hunting if you don't shoot?Maybe a stick or a camera should be in your hand instead of a gun. :hmm: I'm Not trying to be a smartass either. :v

Seems to me that if the gun is loaded and you have a license, yer huntin'. :thumbsup: If not, I've wasted a whole lotta money and time sitting around like an idiot staring at the trees!

I agree, Sidelock, huntin' is huntin' and shootin' is shootin'. My Dad was always a conservationist and something of a naturalist; but in his 30s and 40s, he was really into deer hunting and bringing home the venison (or upland gamebirds, turkey, waterfowl). But when he was in his late 50s and 60s, "getting game" was almost an afterthought. He enjoyed patterning the animal and seeing the animal more than shooting it. In fact, I don't remember him actually harvesting game on the property he bought, other than a squirrel, the last eight years of his life.

My Grandfather was kind of the same way, though he killed an occasional deer and hog well into his 80s. He really got serious, however, when it was time to hunt turkeys :grin:

If I didn't intend to shot some game I would go fishing or play golf.I am not a trophy hunter but am selective, no spikes and only older does that don't have little ones with them. I like my venison chops.But my wife don't eat much meat of any kind so one deer is about all I need. :wink: Rocky

I am not a trophy hunter but am selective, no spikes

One of the things our biologists have found out is it's best to shoot the spikes and leave the forkies to improve trophy quality. The spikes and forks are almost always the same age but the spikes will ultimately be a lesser trophy.

I'm with you on the older does or a dry doe that didn't fawn or lost it's fawns. They are fatter and better eating IMO.

The best thing for both reducing the herd and managing it is to shoot most deers from the socalled youthclass(female and male yearlings and fawns/calves). Further more reduce the older does whenever possible. Doereducing is the key. Bucks needn't be hunted at all. They have no or only little influence on the herd, but does bringing fawns every year, mostly more as you can hunt.

Regards

Kirrmeister

This is a little off the thread but I want to chime in. My nephew is a meat hunter, He thinks he has to make meat every time he goes out. Usually ends the season frustrated and deerless. I have t5ried to tell him that the best way to get a deer is to try not to get a deer :youcrazy: . Sounds a little far fetched, but my thinking is this, once you harvest your deer the season is over. I would like to prolong it as long as possible so I can spend as much time as I can hunting. Invarieably, I usually have taken a deer on the second or third day because I am tired of watching them pass by. seems the harder I try to find them, the harder it is to find them. Sorry for the ramble. :yakyak:

Back