• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hunting from a Climbing Stand

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hawkins54

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hey everyone,
First let me say Hi. I just recently got back into muzzle loading and am real happy I found this site. I strictly shoot black powder and lead ball.
Although I have shot muzzle loaders for years this will be the first time deer hunting with my Hawkins.

I do know NEVER to cap the nipple in a tree till I'm ready to shoot but what about loading and unloading? Is it safe to load before I climb or best to wait till after I'm in the tree? I'll be lifting the gun up with a rope once I've climbed up and will have the muzzle covered in case the barrel goes in the dirt/mud. The question also applies when lowering after the hunt (assuming I don't shoot a deer). Should I fire off the shot before lowering the gun or is just having the cap removed OK?

Don't cap it until you're in the tree. Keep it on half cock so the hammer doesn't rest on the cap. Practice cocking it silently by holding the hammer with your thumb, squeeze the trigger, then pull the hammer all the way back and release the trigger.

When you're done, you can fire the gun safely in the dirt, or un-cap it and fire it somewhere else (safely). Good luck and be safe.

I've always loaded mine before I got into the tree stand.( Minus the percussion cap) I pulled the rifle up( barrel facing downward) with a small dia. cord.
Once in the stand and seated, then I would place a cap on the nipple. Leaving the hammer on half cocked position.
When leaving I would remove the cap leaving the hammer still on half cocked position. Lower the rifle again muzzle down with the cord.
Hunting regulations here in Oklahoma prohibit the transporting of a capped muzzle loader in a vehicle. Loaded but with no cap on nipple is ok.
Vearl :thumbsup:

Trying to load a muzzle loader in a tree stand is about impossible and you could trip and fall out of the stand. The leading cause today of hunter injury is falling out of a tree stand. So load but don't cap while you are on the ground. After you are securely in the stand pull up the gun and cap it. Just remove the cap at day's end, before descending the tree- no need to fire the gun.
I'd also think about an additional safety measure while in the tree stand. You are in a cramped situation and if you move around the hammer might catch on a branch or part of the stand and slip and somehow fire the gun- although exactly how I couldn't say. In any event some folks use a short brass tube wide enough to fit over the cap (A brass cartridge can be cut for this- such as a 30-30 case) The tube needs to be long enoug so the hammer can't hit the cap should the hammer fall.
Drill a tiny hole in this tube and use some fishing line to attach line to tube and then the line to the wrist of the gun. When you want to shoot just lift the tube off the capped nipple and let it fall (reason for the string) and then fully cock the hammer and you are good to go.

Another alternative is the “Kap Kover”.
In addition to it being a safety, it seals out moisture with an internal “O”-ring around a special ”˜Hot-Shot’ nipple.

I have reloaded a percussion gun (T/C Hawken) many times while up in my climbing stand. The main problem is making sure your safety strap is short enough to keep you from a misstep. The type of platform is crucial also. A solid floor or strong mesh is best; spaced bars don't work.

The most difficult part for me is ramming the ball ALL the way down. A smaller thickness patch or an easily rammed conical is necessary for safe reloading.
I carry a Ruger Old Army as back-up for a quick 2nd shot if necessary.

Sorry about the Hawkens spelling. Like I said, its been years. Now to figure out how to change my user name.
I am a long time bow hunter so tree stands aren't new to me. I have a gun carrier (like what you would have on an ATV) on my stand for ease and safety. And it does sound like I need to load then climb. And no worry about capping till I'm ready to shoot. I like the nipple cover as well.
Thanks everyone for the advice. If you have anything else to add feel free.

At 52 years of age with a bad back my tree stand days are over. Now I do like Roundball and find a good tree to lean against with a couple of shooting lanes or other line of sight areas cleared out before hunting season starts.

Hawkins54 said:
I have a gun carrier (like what you would have on an ATV) on my stand for ease and safety.

I have a gun carrier on my climber, however, back in my percussion days a 9 1/2 pound GPR or heavier Kodiak double express made it harder to climb with (more work!) so I opted to pull rifle up - muzzle down - with a cord. As already stated, never cap until you are seated comfortably in your stand, and remove cap prior to climbing back down!

Rev_William said:
Well jack the gun belongs to him he's hawkin, he can name it what ever he wants.
Sure he can, but if you call around looking for parts for your "Fird", the auto parts store might not know what you mean. Just explain to them that you can call your Ford anything you like. :wink:

Dixie Flinter said:
Hawkins54 said:
I have a gun carrier (like what you would have on an ATV) on my stand for ease and safety.

I have a gun carrier on my climber, however, back in my percussion days a 9 1/2 pound GPR or heavier Kodiak double express made it harder to climb with (more work!) so I opted to pull rifle up - muzzle down - with a cord. As already stated, never cap until you are seated comfortably in your stand, and remove cap prior to climbing back down!
Agreed. Will pull the gun up with a cord. The carrier is so I don't drop it once I'm seated.

/quote]
No problem, just pulling your leg.

P.S. It's Hawken, singular. :wink: [/quote]
I was wondering what that strange sensation was. :shocked2:

Jack Wilson said:
Hawkins54 said:
Although I have shot muzzle loaders for years this will be the first time deer hunting with my Hawkins.
HAWKEN it's HAWKEN :shake:
Just for you Jack got the user name corrected. That's what I get for joining a forum while in a deer stand bow hunting. :idunno:

I do not consider myself old by any means but I have pretty much quit hunting out of treestands. When I did, I would have my gun loaded but uncapped. At that point, once in the stand, I would pull it up with a small dimater rope and then cap the gun. I would reverse the process when getting down.

Jeff

Those Kap Kovers are absolute gold. I don't ever want to hunt without one. In my humble opinion they should be standard equipment on all percussion rifles.

I can't imagine shooting a rifle out of a tree. I think I would get vertico!

Jack Wilson said:
Hawkins54 said:
HAWKEN it's HAWKEN :shake:

And the spelling Nazi rears its ugly head again... To what end? Nooooooooooooo idea. :shake:

The Kap Kover looks interesting. I just put a piece of leather on the nipple (with no cap)and put the hammer down in it. Safe and keeps out moisture.

Back