• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hunting in the rain tomorrow

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bendjoseph

36 Cal.
Reaction score
First time hunting in the rain with my Renegade tomorrow. Should I worry about the cap getting wet? :hmm:

Take reasonable precautions, i.e. hold the rifle so it is sheltered or covered by your coat and body as much as possible, keep the muzzle pointed down and you will be fine. Some of my most productive deer hunting has been in a light rain or snow, and my caplocks have never misfired in those situations. I always do the standard procedures when loading - dry the barrel, snap 2 caps, then load, the evening before I hunt, and cap the rifle when and where I hunt.

Good luck tomorrow, I'll be hunting a week from tomorrow.

Well I would think so,just try to keep it covered as best you can,maybe swap it out every so often,I don,t hunt in the rain anymore but I know that some times that is all the chance you have, good luck keep as dry as you can.

I will be hunting tomorrow with a good chance of rain here in WV with my Renegade flintlock. Carry your rifle muzzle pointed down, keep the lock protected with your coat or under your arm. I have hunted this way for years without problems in the rain and snow. I carry a small camo umbrella for keeping the lock dry if I have to stop and take care of necessary calls of nature.

Thanks for the info. I will keep her dry tomorrow. I loaded her up Tuesday night, opening day was Wednesday. I bought a Renegade unfired from my sister for $100, having a lot of fun with it and hunting with it.

Back