• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hunting load for .62 cal?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

broach

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Working on hunting load for my .62 cal. I was shooting 3 f today instead of my normal 2 f, same load 80 grains, both group well. The 3f would impact 1 1/2" higher than the 2f. I'm fine with the results, just didn't expect there to be that much difference in impact? (target distance 60 yds) Thanks in advance for your input.

You should be plenty good to go...I have used 70gn of 1.5Fg Swiss in my original 14 bore (.691)and a .678 ball with devastating results on deer... :thumbsup: .

"Good Luck" on the hunt :v !

I used 90gr-3f for my last elk kill.(2007) 26yd shot took out both shoulder blades and down in less than 80yd. Found the ball under the skin on the off side. 600prb w/cushion wad over powder.

roaster said:
Working on hunting load for my .62 cal. I was shooting 3 f today instead of my normal 2 f, same load 80 grains, both group well. The 3f would impact 1 1/2" higher than the 2f. I'm fine with the results, just didn't expect there to be that much difference in impact? (target distance 60 yds) Thanks in advance for your input.
No sure what you're asking, but just to also toss in my experience with my 38" .62cal Early Virginia smoothbore, it has very good accuracy with 90 and 100grns Goex 2F...but when I stepped to 110grns Goex 2F the shot took on more of a "crack" sound and group size shrunk in half at 50yds...couple inches from a sitting hunting position, no bench.
So although I probably don't "need" 110grns for 50-75yd woods shots, I liked the performance of the 110grn charge and stayed with it for my deer load. (.022" patch, .600" ball)

Latest posts

Back