• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hunting Rifle Slippery Butt Plate

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roundball

Cannon
Reaction score
Having only shot muzzleloaders with cresent shaped brass butt plates for the past 18 years, other than the looks which I like, I never fully appreciated their functional benefit until I got the Early Virginia with it's slightly wider and basically flat brass butt plate.

I noticed during sight-in shooting at the range it was so smooth and slippery that shooting from some simulated hunting positions with my hunting shirt on, it would occasionally try to slide a little bit if I was sitting & leaning in an awkward position, etc.

I came up with a simple, easily removeable solution...I cut a very thin piece of scrap suede and matching size/shape piece of 2-sided carpet tape...no more slipping...after hunting season I can peel it right off.

110709Nonslipbuttsuede.jpg

Terrific! I've always been a little hesitant about those butts for that specific reason. Simple, elegant solution. The best kind!

I certainly wouldn't call you on that. Neat, practical addition. I've been contemplating a similar addition of rough side out rawhide to a skeleton butt Ohia po' boy that I built.
R

Some people glue a strip of Skate Board " tape " on their buttplates to stop the slipping. I have seen the same product used on the front of small semi-auto pistols to give the fingers a better grip.

I like RB's idea of using suede, as the use of leather seems a bit more " tradtional". :hmm: :grin: :hatsoff:

Nice, neat looking pad. I imagine that the clothes worn "back then" weren't made from plastic and weren't as slippery. Deer leather outer garments worn "back then" had more resistance to slipping and you've just taken some and put it on a suitable spot......Fred :bow:

Yep; that's a great way to fix it Roundball. I like a good solid cheek and shoulder weld with no sliding around as well.

There is some stuff on the market called Pac Skin that has adheasive on one side and rubber on the other; it's thin and stays stuck on a butt plate very well. It won't slide around with that stuff on there and it won't change the length of pull more than a 1/16". Cut to whatever shape you want. Anything of that nature will work well.

Yeah...but the thin piece of hide is PC.

(right on top of the modern 2 sided carpet tape)
:grin:

Roundball-you have a very shinny-Butt!

I'M thinking -stair tread stick-ons no sliding there.

Back