• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hunting Supplies

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ndillon

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I just finished my first muzzleloader and I am planning on hunting elk with it next years. What sort of supplies do you guys carry hunting in the field? If it makes a difference my muzzleloader is a .50 cal percussion. Pictures would be great! :thumbsup:

Fire making, game cleaning, rifle/gun shooting, rifle/gun cleaning, enough food for the planned hunt plus 20%, sleeping/camp making gear if an overnight.

On the other hand - I head out with fixings for four shots and no shooting bag at all sometimes when it's just a short hunt out the back door. A three ball block on my horn strap and a sheath knife on my belt. Plus a license & tags, of course.

But here's a shot of what is typically in my rifle shooting bag.

HPIM0448.jpg

HPIM0440.jpg

HPIM0870.jpg

And a waxed leather cow's knee to cover the lock in rain or snow.

HPIM0381.jpg

Thats a broad question....you in the woods a few hours, all day or camping out there a week or more? I'm just a few hours from home or camp so all I'm taking is whatever I need to keep my gun shooting. Extra flints and leather, screw driver, vent pick and primer. If a cap gun I'd have caps...
Enough fixings for three shots. Thats all thats really needed for a few hours of hunting and of course if one was camping out for a while other things would have to be considered, like a lock mainspring vice and very possibly extra parts of the lock being used. Cleaning items as well.

All the usual muzzleloader stuff, but some specific extra things for elk hunting.

1-Rope. Sometimes you get an elk down in a weird position, like on a steep hill, and the rope can help you hold the legs apart for gutting, or just hold the animal in place while you dress it. If you're going to leave the elk in the field for a while, you can hang up pieces, to keep the coyotes away, and to keep the meat clean and cool.

2-Good sharp knife and a sharpener. A large knife is better than a small one in my opinion. You may need to cut that elk up in the field, and your knife will get dull. It sure helps to touch up the edge while your working.

3-Some kind of folding saw. I have a folding hacksaw with a meat blade that I wouldn't be without. Makes field butchering so much faster and easier. Really helps for opening up that pelvic bone and ripping open the chest cavity.

4-A sturdy backpack. It doesn't even need a frame, just a strong and comfortable bag. One time I thought I had a good backpack, but the last elk I packed out tore it up so much, I got to camp nearly dragging the whole broken and torn mess on the ground.

5- Clean plastic bags. For hauling out the liver and heart, and for the rest of the meat if you need to pack it out. Bill

snowdragon said:
All the usual muzzleloader stuff, but some specific extra things for elk hunting.

1-Rope. Sometimes you get an elk down in a weird position, like on a steep hill, and the rope can help you hold the legs apart for gutting, or just hold the animal in place while you dress it. If you're going to leave the elk in the field for a while, you can hang up pieces, to keep the coyotes away, and to keep the meat clean and cool.

2-Good sharp knife and a sharpener. A large knife is better than a small one in my opinion. You may need to cut that elk up in the field, and your knife will get dull. It sure helps to touch up the edge while your working.

3-Some kind of folding saw. I have a folding hacksaw with a meat blade that I wouldn't be without. Makes field butchering so much faster and easier. Really helps for opening up that pelvic bone and ripping open the chest cavity.

4-A sturdy backpack. It doesn't even need a frame, just a strong and comfortable bag. One time I thought I had a good backpack, but the last elk I packed out tore it up so much, I got to camp nearly dragging the whole broken and torn mess on the ground.

5- Clean plastic bags. For hauling out the liver and heart, and for the rest of the meat if you need to pack it out. Bill
Scan_Pic0001-2.jpg

'Nuff sed? Those trees are the only thing that kept him from sliding another 200 yards to the bottom.

I will never complain again about the big does who always go in the gully. The funny thing the 3 biggest bucks I have ever shot all dropped in ideal locations. A friend of mine had a Step Dad that would get his moose in Alaska but would quarter it cut straps out of the hide and carry it out like a backpack. His folks moved there after the kids were out of the house in the late 1960s. I do not think this would be a good Idea today.

Stumpkiller,
What is the punch-like tool used for, at left in the photo of your tool kit? Todrive out barrel pins? Nice jack knife, what make? Thanks

Btw, if I carry too much stuff, it is hard to still hunt.

Thanks for posting such a great picture of what the elk hunter faces after the smoke clears, brings back great memories--- if you don't thrive out in the " cold,mud,blood" of elk hunting, stay out of the "Big-Dawg" woods- :slap: Leebone PS: That picture depicts what your fellow hunting companions will be looking at when they find you at your downed elk, this is also the moment when a real hunter steps up!!!!!!!!

It depends. If your truck is down hill your good to go. That snow would make things easy to get one out. I use a kids snow sled like this one but longer.
http://www.amazon.com/48-H2o-Boggan-Sled/dp/B00007KQPZ

The one I have for packing game is about 6 foot long but these short ones work too. I can take that bull in those trees and put half of it on a 6" sled like the one I showed. Strap it down and head out. I have done it so many times I don't even have to think about it.
Ron

Last edited by a moderator:
Back