• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hunting videos

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sixgun symphony

Pilgrim
Reaction score
I can only find hunting videos with the modern muzzleloaders for sale. :barf:

Where can I find some hunting videos with traditional guns?

Well good luck! I find the same thing at the retail outlets in my area.

Same on TV! All about modern guns hunts in fenced areas for farm raised deer or some foreign introduced animal, shot from an air conditioned, or heated condo in the sky, under a feeder, with three guides all sipping on Jack D.

I guess if we want traditional, we will have to look at 1950 re-runs of Fess Parker as Davy Crockett or Dan Boone.

Sixgun Symphony said:
I can only find hunting videos with the modern muzzleloaders for sale. :barf:

Where can I find some hunting videos with traditional guns?
Look on ebay, I got two vhs tapes (one I had made into a DVD) Black powder whitetails and powder horn bucks both by Dave Ehrig Quest productions.
These are older, but NO IN LINES all sidelocks.
I e mailed Dave Ehrig and I ask him if he would ever put these out on DVD and he said he had no plans to do so.

:( If you cannot fine any send me a PM.

I talked to one of the guys at www.teambackwoods.com last year at the deer and turkey show in IL. and told him I would like to see some more traditional guns used. He told me he had filmed a hunt where he used a flintlock kentucky but did not take anything with it. hopefully he was successful this year and it will be in next years video.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have those by Dave Ehrig and like them both. The first one was the best I thought. Saw that link for beckumoutdoors and after reading about their new flintlock dvd and a comment here I ordered one. Should be showing up anyday now.

Brad Harris made a vhs on ml for Lohman I think it was. In it he used a long rifle a couple of times and showed a guy building one then taking a deer with it. It was fair. At least he didn't use the modern types all the time.

wvbuckbuster said:
I have those by Dave Ehrig and like them both. The first one was the best I thought. Saw that link for beckumoutdoors and after reading about their new flintlock dvd and a comment here I ordered one. Should be showing up anyday now.

Brad Harris made a vhs on ml for Lohman I think it was. In it he used a long rifle a couple of times and showed a guy building one then taking a deer with it. It was fair. At least he didn't use the modern types all the time.

I think I have that one also, I'll have to look it up. :hmm:

While you're waiting for videos to buy, you can find some at youtube.com and then save the links of your favorites to view over and over.
I entered "black powder deer hunting" into their searchbox and while the results were mixed, at least some of the traditional videos can be identified by their titles & descriptions. Plus other traditional search words such as "flintlock deer hunting" can be tried to find more results.
Stated along with the video posted below:
"Muzzleloader Deer Hunting
This doe was taken with a .50 cal patched round ball, TC Hawken. We go through"

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sjqma9gUb3Y[/youtube]

Here's a link to another video, "Mciever's first flintlock kill, I harvest my first deer with a 50 Cal. flintloc...":
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yc7rKhCYWsg&feature=related

While these videos are not professionally produced, they still provide a taste of what real life traditional hunting action is all about.

Last edited by a moderator:
Very nice videos! :thumbsup:

I find it curious that the hunters call "meep" to stop moving deer! But it seems to work!

Regards

Kirrmeister

Not curious at all. I do it all the time bowhunting. It is amazing that you have to do that sound quite loud,since they use to hear pretty good :grin:
It is important to do that sound when the deer are unpressured and not nervous,otherwise you may have a surprise!

Since Thompson Center Arms sponsors so many of the shows on the outdoor channel, if you have some time email them. Tell them it is time they show their pro staff members with TC Traditional ML.

Rat Trapper said:
Since Thompson Center Arms sponsors so many of the shows on the outdoor channel, if you have some time email them. Tell them it is time they show their pro staff members with TC Traditional ML.

They would have to hire some forum readers, I don't think they would have anyone who could shoot a muzzleloader without a scope and a bucket of corn. :rotf:
They don't hunt deer they trap them. Might as well put up a fence and catch and release them. :shake:

tecum-tha said:
Not curious at all. I do it all the time bowhunting. It is amazing that you have to do that sound quite loud,since they use to hear pretty good :grin:
It is important to do that sound when the deer are unpressured and not nervous,otherwise you may have a surprise!

So I'll have a try when hunting at roedeer! :thumbsup:

Kirrmeister

Looks like this could be a new genre of hunting videos. We here at the MF should start filming our hunts and put together a video.

i have got alot of footage on the old Hi8 sony format of deer kills with the T/C Renegade with Maxihunter conicals, Parker Hale whitworth, .58,.62,.66,&.72 PRB's. the footage is from years of deer drives and the camera angles are over the shoulder. most of my friends shoot inlines though so there is that mixed in also. if looking for a video/dvd to buy Roger Raglin has one called "Black Powder Magic" produced in the '80's with T/C side hammers. he shoots all kinds of north american big game in it.

I have most all of the old black powder videos that have been mentioned, including Flintlock Wapiti.

I still pull out those old Dave Ehrig videos from time to time. He also did a turkey hunting video called "Appalachian Gobblers" that was black powder only, and another about hog hunting with muzzleloaders. I don't recall the name of that one.

I really do wish there were more out there, I do like the idea of guys from the forum putting their footage together into a full-length video.

I've been meaning to order that Beckum Outdoors video, didn't he build the flintlocks he uses?

Spot

Guys, I really agree. I use to get excited watching hunters with traditional muzzleloaders on TV and videos, now every one has either an Encore or a CVA with electronic ignition.

There is nothing wrong with those if that is your thing, shooting with a scope at 200 yards and all but it does not do it for some of us.

I would rather watch the home made videos with sidelocks than the professional ones with the in-lines.
There is probably not enough marketing money in it for any major manufacturer to pursue this idea though.
I looked through my dusty stack of VHS tapes and found Dave Ehrig "Black Powder White Tails", I am going to watch it and hunt for some more old ones.
I understand it is fairly easy to transfer VHS to DVD but it might be a little over my head.

I thought of another one that wasn't too bad, "Black Powder Blastin'" from Joseph Cimorelli.

He used the Austin & Halleck guns, the "Mountain" rifle with the 1:66 twist was okay, and he did a squirrel hunt with a Pedersoli Frontier (percussion) rifle. There was also turkey hunting with a T/C New Englander and I believe some upland bird hunting with percussion doubles.

All in all not a bad video, I wish he had done more of them.

I'm going to go throw it in now... :grin:

Spot

There are no multi-million dollar firms making traditional MLs and if they do they would rather spend money promoting the use of ML versions of various cartridge guns.

Dan

Back