• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

hunting with a 58

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wire

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Just got my first buck with a muzzleloader hit him with a 58.cal patched round ball at 35 yds acted like he got struck by lightning.Also just got my shilo sharps quigly rifle in 45-70 I know its not a muzzleloader but I just had to tell somebody I cant wait to take it into the woods :thumbsup:

This years's PA early ML season, I killed my first deer with my .58cal 1861. Shot her right in the snoot, at 65yds with a 385gr RCBS minnie over 60grs of fff. It was a a head on shot and the bullet logded in the brain. Nothin' puts em down quicker than a big ole chunk of lead :g

You guys don't mess around! I've head shot does with 12 ga slugs (works out to 437 grain, 73 cal) and it sure does slow their forward progress. But it is just too ugly afterwards. :(

We're talking Dean Koontz/Stephen King/Resident Evil ugly.

58.cal boomer said:
Just got my first buck with a muzzleloader hit him with a 58.cal patched round ball at 35 yds acted like he got struck by lightning.

The .58 is a powerful caliber to be sure...congratulations on your first ML buck...there's no turning back now!
:)

That was a good shot at 65yds...a 'snoot' is not a very big target, congratulations!

Congrats boomer. Sounds like lots of success for the folks on this forum.

Britches

roundball said:
That was a good shot at 65yds...a 'snoot' is not a very big target, congratulations!
58 Cal on the snoot, kinda like hitting a nail with a sledge hammer... :rotf: seriously...great shot. I have a deer reduction hunt coming up Mon/Tue at a local state park. Hope to bag a couple.

Mike

Congrats. on your deer, I've been wanting to put a Green Mountain .58 drop in on my Renegade. Most likely a 1\70 twist. I also will be trying out my 45-70 in a Buffalo classic. Congrats again on the rifles and deer.

Back