• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hunting with a vintage double

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

B.Habermehl

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Nearly a year ago I found a neat precussion 20 ga double shot gun at a gun show. It had to come home with me. After a few evenings of gunsmithing work I fixed a couple of problems. Monday two of my friends myself and two beagles went on a muzzleloading wabbit hunt. I loaded it with 55gr of ffg, 1/4 in card wad and 1 oz of shot, followed by a thin card. We got to the first farm and had some chases, got the hammers back twice but no shots. After a hour or two we loaded the beagles and headed for another farm. Turned the dogs loose in the first hedgerow. The dogs get fired up on a good trail. Wabbit comes blasting out of the brush at mach 2, Booom....boom :shocked2: I Really have to get used to having two triggers. Reload both barrels and cap. 50 yds up the hedge row the beagles get happy on another trail. Rabbit pops out of the thick stuff and heads twards me. Hammers back ,the bead settles, boom. The rabbit takes a back flip and lays still. 10 or so shots and hilarious misses later the day ends. What fun! I would not be too suprised if this was the first game taken with this shot gun in over 100 years.

I have pics coming but they are on film not digital. I expect to get out again on Friday. so maybe We'll have something to take pic of. Then I'll need to learn to post them.

Gotta love those old doubles.I find I do better with mine capping 1 barrel at a time.The 2nd barrel gets used when they come around the 2nd time. :grin: You are using about the same load I use on my old 20ga. except I use 7/8oz. #7 1/2.

Back