• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

hunting with civil war repro

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigCity

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Hi all,
I am new to muzzleloading, but not to hunting, having purchased an Enfield repro in .58 caliber to honor my GG Grandfather who served in 1st MD Light Artillery, US.
I want to deer hunt with it so I am looking for help in what amount of powder grain to use. I shoot FFg with minie balls. I have not seen any info on the use of repros for hunting yet.

pant,
I had the euroarms .58 enfield a couple of decades ago. I bought all my minnie balls and had no control over how thick the skirts were. The skirts were real thick and I found that if I used the musket charge of 60 grains of 2fg, the rascals didn't expand into the rifling and would keyhole at fifty yards. I had to use 90 grains to get the expansion and the accuracy. The replicas are pretty strong so I would be afraid of a real load, eg., ninety grs. 2fg or even a hundred. But do make sure of your particular gun before you do so.
God bless.
volatpluvia

Thanks for your reply. When I got the piece, my first shooting was with a skirmish group that was practicing. We were shooting 70 grains FFg at about 40 yards and it was doing well. Where I hunt, I shoot about 100 yards over an open field straight out or if to the left into a small copse of trees at about the same distance. How will I know how many grains to use? The company which sold me the rifle said to use 100 grains for hunting.

Musketman,
These loads are for blank charges. What about hunting at about 100 yards shooting distance? When practicing with a skirmish group at about 40 yards, we were using 70 grains FFg.

What is the rate of twist in your rifled musket? I have a .58 cal. Zouave that has a 1-72" twist. I have never fired it yet, trying to sell it, but have heard that they do real well with a patched round ball. Have you tried any of them in yours? I would start at about 80 grs of powder with a round ball, and work up in 10 gr. increments until you find the most accurate load. Anything over 80 grs. should be plenty for deer hunting with a .58 cal out to 100 yds, as long as it is accurate enough to put the ball where it needs to go.

Rebel,
Thanks for your reply. Don't know what the rate of twist is yet. I have only fired minie balls through it. Others have told me to use them instead of round balls. I guess I will just have to try different amounts of grain as you suggested.

Well, chances are it is either a 1-48" or 1-72" twist rate, either of which should work ok with a round ball. Besides, round balls are cheaper and easier to cast than mini's, so you can do more shooting to find the best load. Also less recoil and they are plenty big enough for any game animal in North America. To find the rate of twist put a tight fitting patch on your cleaning jag and run it all the way down the barrel. Then put a mark on the rod that lines up with the front sight and pull it out, slowly so it can turn, 1/4 turn. Then measure the distance from the muzzle to the mark on the rod and mutiply by 4. If it is 12", then it is a 1-48" twist. If it is 18" then it is 1-72" twist. Good luck and have fun.

Pant412,
welcome to the forum!!! all the information you need is here, just ask & you will receive!!!

again welcome and stay active

snake-eyes :peace: :thumbsup: :relax: :)

Snake-eyes,
Thanks for the post. I have done some more checking online and a lot of people will shoot patched balls instead of minies. Do you agree with this or does it just not matter? Also I purchased some minies from Cain Outdoors in West Virginia. They are a touch too big for my smoke pole. They do not sell anything to shave them down. I have an acquaintance who has one to lend me, but it is not really convenient to do this. Should I chalk it up to experience and stick to patched balls or will I have the same problem with balls bought off the shelf.
John

Back