• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

hunting with papaw and the beloved miss woodsy !

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

silent sniper

40 Cal.
Reaction score
today i went up to my grandpas to do a little groundhog hunting. the hour and a half ride went quicky as i day dreamed about wat fun was in- store. i got to papaws house around 11:30 and spent a couple hours sitting around talking. by 1:30 i was getting an itch to go hog hunting. papaw got a very nice 40 cal custom flinter last fall and so far this year he is 5 shots 5 hogs with it. so i was up for the challange of keeping the no misses going. i suited up and went out. i walked around for 15 minutes getting a lay of the field and where the hog holes were. i was sneeking past a huge log when i looked in the corner of my eye to see a hog running off of the log. i quietly snuck over to the log. the log was over 5 feet tall and i would have to crawl over it to look at the hog holes on the other side. i was half way over the log when i looked up to see the hog sitting there. i was still hunched over when i put the gun up to my shoulder. the hog was a mear 6 yards when i touched it off. the hog dropped dead on impact of the ball to the neck. i was very excited. i grabbed the hog and jogged up to show papaw.
06270014271.jpg

0627001427a1.jpg

he was very happy that i had got one and he nicknamed me the groundhog killer. :rotf: we gutted and butchered the young hog and put it in salt water. then it started to rain. the shower lasted only 15 minutes and the sun came out. it was the perfect time to go try for another hog ! we snuck around papaws round pen to look for groundhogs under his horse trailer. i saw one sticking its head out of the hole. i aimed at it but i didnt hold a fine enough sight and shot just over the hogs head :cursing: i had broke the 40s perfect record for this year...o well there is always next year :haha: then we snuck around the field again. we saw a groundhog sitting on the railroad track we were walking on. the hog was 50+ yards and papaw wanted me to stalk closer rather then risk another miss :haha: i was a little to noisy in my stalking and the hog went into its hole. we then walked around while papaw showed me all the fresh groundhog holes. we were at the log where i shot the hog earlier looking out in2 the pasture. all of the sudden a groundhog popped up in the pasture. i ducked down and started stalking closer. i got a tree between me and the hog and closed the distance. i looked around the tree and saw a very large hog on the edge of pasture 80+ plus yards away..but i didnt see the hog i was origially stalking. i had to decide whether to try for the big hog or keep looking for the smaller one i was originally going after. but the hog quickly decided for me when it popped up into view 25 yards away. i quickly threw the gun up and waited. the hog then stood up and i aimed right at its neck and touched the trigger. the hog dropped on impact. papaw was standing behind me and had watched the whole thing. he was very excited. we walked up to the hog to see that i had hit it right under the chin.
06270016011.jpg

0627001601a1.jpg

0627001601b1.jpg

it was a very and rewarding hunt. i really like the 40 cal and it would be my vote for the perfect all around gun for where i live. it is wonderful spending time with papaw. he is an amazing grandpa and the one that got me started in this awesome sport.i will cherish these memories forever. my load was 40 grains FFF .380 RB and a .20 bore butter patch. enjoy SS

How about "Groundhog Sniper"? I guess we don't have groundhogs in my area. How do they taste? Something like rabbit?

Good job Sniper, your friend, Bill.

Thanks SS for helping me out. The hogs are plenty here this year. I soaked them out in salt water and was going to eat them, but a old friend,83 came by and I gave them to him as he likes them. Will be more. Miss Woodsy is the gun I got off of Old Army. She a killer,going to be my favorite hog gun. Enjoyed watching you shoot her. Come back and we will get some more hogs. PP Dilly :thumbsup:

Boar-dilly, I used to work there in Carroll , OH. It has been a while, I used to live in Lancaster.

Its Carroll Country. I know of the Carroll you are thinking about, way south of me. I am about 18miles south of Canton,Ohio. :thumbsup: Dilly

Great story and pics. :wink: You otta do pretty good on the squirrels too. :thumbsup:

Latest posts

Back