• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hunting with the GPR

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well deer season starts in November in West Tennessee and I am already getting the itch. I recently used the scotch bright method on my 54 to de-burr the barrel on my gun so I can shoot more than one round without swabbing. Unfortunately I haven't been able to test it yet but that should happen later this week.

I will probably be able to do some farel pig hunting in October as a warm up.

Yes sir, time to get out and there and do some more testing until you find the load that suits you.

I wish you well.

Well deer season starts in November in West Tennessee and I am already getting the itch. I recently used the scotch bright method on my 54 to de-burr the barrel on my gun so I can shoot more than one round without swabbing. Unfortunately I haven't been able to test it yet but that should happen later this week.

Yep, time is getting close. Any good public lands for pig hunting over in the west? I'm in Giles county and there aren't any pigs around here. Figured they would have migrated here by now but no luck. Good luck with the coming season.

Best of luck to you. I'm on the other side of the state where the kids are as wild and free as the bear n boar lol. I personally wish TN would get with Ky and PA AND let us have a primitive season. Happy hunting may your powder always be dry and your freezer be full

Best of luck to you. I'm on the other side of the state where the kids are as wild and free as the bear n boar lol. I personally wish TN would get with Ky and PA AND let us have a primitive season. Happy hunting may your powder always be dry and your freezer be full
Indiana has a muzzleloader only season which starts a week after firearms season. Of course deer have been hunted since October by bowhunters and then modern firearms so they are pretty spooked. You can use a muzzleloader during firearms season but I wish the state would have a traditional muzzleloader season, no in lines allowed sometime between archery and modern firearms season. Alas probably wishful thinking

I wish they would offer that primitive season as well. That would be great.

I didn't know KY has a primitive season. Is it new this year because we haven't had one before?

I didn't know KY has a primitive season. Is it new this year because we haven't had one before?
According to some friends that live there they've had it a few years and they have primitive hunting areas as well. I've seen a few videos on YouTube that confirmed it. Ky also allows trapping of black bear on private property at least.

According to some friends that live there they've had it a few years and they have primitive hunting areas as well. I've seen a few videos on YouTube that confirmed it. Ky also allows trapping of black bear on private property at least.
I just looked and there is special primitive weapons hunts on a few WMA. There is no state wide special primitive weapons season. I might look into one of those. We have a WMA near by but I do not know if there's a primitive weapons season there.

There was one member on here a few months ago that was advocating a meeting with F&G in an attempt to get a flintlock season on the books.

Last edited:
I just looked and there is special primitive weapons hunts on a few WMA. There is no state wide special primitive weapons season. I might look into one of those. We have a WMA near by but I do not know if there's a primitive weapons season there.

There was one member on here a few months ago that was advocating a meeting with F&G in an attempt to get a flintlock season on the books.
I believe KyAFIELD was one of the YouTube channels that I saw it on. The guys telling me about it range from somerset to hazard. It may be limited to certain wma just had what was told and seen on the tube to go by. That's more than TN offers I'd be happy with a quota draw to get it started.

Indiana has a muzzleloader only season which starts a week after firearms season. Of course deer have been hunted since October by bowhunters and then modern firearms so they are pretty spooked. You can use a muzzleloader during firearms season but I wish the state would have a traditional muzzleloader season, no in lines allowed sometime between archery and modern firearms season. Alas probably wishful thinking
We got funny regs made up by some funny people.

Shooting season is like grilling season. 365 days a year (ish…minus birthdays, anniversaries, and holidays that call for meat (smoked, grilled, or roasted). Although…smoking large cuts of meat DO allow time for both😇.)

Using a piece of Scotch Brite is fine. Choice of patch lube will go a long way to help as well.

I think that there should be at least a five year requirement of hunting that a person must complete before becoming eligible to be on boards to make or alter hunting regulations.

Back