• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hunting Woodcock in East TX

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KHickam

50 Cal.
Reaction score
Anybody done this? I have access to very good dogs and I was wondering if anybody has hunted woodcock with a flintlock fowler in East Texas and if so what were the results and since it is also like my 2nd time around is there anything I should look out for? :thumbsup:

At various times I've hunted woodcock w/ my setters and it's great sport. Some of the setters wouldn't pick a woodcock up and some tried to bury them w/ their noses but all pointed them and many times I had to nudge the bird w/ my toe to get 'em up. When the flight was in, a few times the dogs were leashed so we could get out of the woods. Shot 20 by noon one day and just used the breasts for lunch and it was one of the best meals I've had. Because of their zig-zag flight pattern, it's best to wait them out 'til they reach the top of their arc and straighten out. Used #8 trap loads but often thought of using a Mler....especially over dogs. Good luck....Fred

Not with a flinter but with a 10g and 12g doubles.

Fantastic sporting birds.

As said let them straighten out some but get on them quick because they will turn quick again soon.

A favourite time of mine is on dark when they leave the woods for their feeding grounds.

Brits.

Perhaps you can chime in on a couple of "facts" asre woodcock that I haven't been able to verify? First off, it's said that in England a woodcock gourmet specialty is "trail" which is the worm filled intestine fried until done. Ever hear of "trail"? Secondly, so I've heard, is that when the woodcock copses are very dry due to a lack of rain, the woodcock beat their wings on the ground to simulate falling rain and the earthworms then come up to "beak depth" and provide a feast. Any comments on the above would be appreciated....Fred

I can not say I have heard of that cooking method or the beating of wings to stimulate worms.

I do have a good friend that has witnessed a woodcock carrying it's young!

It was/is common to serve the whole bird roasted on a crust of toasted bread guts in!

There is some good books available about this magical bird.

I often wonder about how they must be one of the hardest birds to hunt with a bow!

I will say this, I don't hesitate retrieving a woodcock. A wing tipped bird will walk for a good way in dense woodland and is soon lost if sent is not good!

Brit.

The "beating of the ground to simulate rain" was something I don't lend much credence to, but read about it somewhere. "De-feathered only" woodcock on toast sounds delicious as does a whole sardine sandwich...ate many in Spain. If only wing hit, a woodcock will run but my English Setters always found them because they don't run as far as a ruffed grouse. Normally I hunted grouse but certain areas were rife w/ woodcock and both the setters and us hunters recognized this and we relaxed a bit because woodcock sit very tight and you don't have to be "on your toes" as w/ grouse....Fred

Back