• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

I Blew It Today

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Patocazador

54 Cal.
Reaction score
Today was the muzzleloading opener and I had a good day for a while. It turned into a mess at the end though.
Only bucks are legal so at 9:00 a bobcat walked toward me and I took a crummy picture at 45 yards. He should have shown up again at 30 yards but disappeared into some thick growth. 15 minutes later a small doe came from the area he had walked into and she was disturbed. I think he was hunting her .. at least she thought he was.
An hour later I glanced behind me and there was a 5 point buck that was good size. If he had brow tines, he was a 7 point but I didn't check that good. I was hunting with my .45 fliintlock that has a 42" barrel. When he got to 40 yards I fired but there was a slight hang-fire (about 1/10 sec.) and the gun dropped because I didn't have a rest. I shot under his chest. It was obvious from the way he acted that he was unharmed but I got done after 30 minutes and searched for a half hour for any sign of a hit. I was able to follow his running track for over 100 yards but there was no hint of blood or him.

Tomorrow I go back with a percussion gun. :redface:

BTW, bobcats aren't legal until after Dec. 1st.

Iv'e been there more times than I want to admit.
Go back with the flintlock...they sell tenderloins at the grocery store. :thumbsup:
Food just goes in one end and out the other, but memories last a lifetime.

:cursing: Been there, done that... However, I'm with Irondog and Clyde...go back with your flinter!
That percussion thing ain't gonna catch on, anyways.
Good luck,
Ed

Been there! Last year I had a on-going freak show starring moi, a huge bobcat, a fence-jumping Blackbuck, two ultra smart whitetails and one totally lunatic squirrel! The whole season was like one big "Who's On First" routine! :doh:

Hey Pard,
I'll echo all the others and say I've been there done that and I'm sure I'll be wearing those shoes again as well. It don't make it feel any less worse. I would say at least you didn't wound the deer. That hurts me more than anything. The good news is you get to get back out there and go after him again. The sacrifices we make as part of the small fraternity of flintlock users.

Jeff

Back