• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

I broke the law

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Not counting critter control around my house, I am an ethical hunter. Never poached or hunted out of season...until this week. I got the wrong dates for our muzzle loading deer season fixed in my (aging? :( ) head. Went out Tuesday. Season had closed the day before. :shocked2: Uh-Oh! Fortunately, I didn't see any deer or kill anything. Oh, well.

Hunting out of season! :nono:
That'll be a $1000 fine.
You can send it to me.

Well, at least you remembered your way back home. :thumbsup:

As far as the age thing, in my experience, it's the younger people who seem to wrestle with brain problems. At work, you tell these 20 year olds the same thing over and over, and their answer is always something like, "Oh yeah, I forgot". We had one young man who would often show up in the morning, his hair all sticking out, eyes half closed, only to have one of us inform him that it was his day off. Then when it was his day to work, of course he would show up late.

I hope you didn't miss out on hunting due to the date debockle. Bill

:shocked2: :shocked2: shot a couple of grouse a wk after the season closed :shocked2: .The're honest mistakes . To bad the EO wouldn't understand if :idunno: he caught us .

I've committed the same thing, I once was so psyched up for deer season, I forgot to buy a license!! I went out to iron mountain where we had seen this giant buck, saw another hunter move him out of his bed, stalked within 100 yards, and missed. It was only 'til I got back to the truck to eat lunch that I realized what I had not done.

Ayup. Close call. I had one when I misread the regs and went ptarmigan hunting a week before the season opened. Fortunately I got rousted by a cranky bear before I found any birds. Bout wet my pants a few days later when I learned I had jump started the season.

Is the muzzle loading season the only time you are allowed to hunt with a muzzle loader in your state?
In Georgia we can use them during the regular firearms season also.

mr.flintlock said:
Is the muzzle loading season the only time you are allowed to hunt with a muzzle loader in your state?

No, we can use ml during modern gun season as well. I intend to carry my JB smoothie.

mr.flintlock said:

And small game and Turkey. :thumbsup:

In ga, there really is only about 3 or 4 months that you couldn't hunt something on public land with a ML, And if you count going to Ft Stewart that cuts it down to just a month during archery season.

It would only be illegal if you had killed a deer wouldn`t it? This time of year I`d assume some kind of critter is legal game in your state? That would justify your simply being in the field with your rifle. I`d have a clear conscious, it was a simple mistake.

SgtSchutzen said:
It would only be illegal if you had killed a deer wouldn`t it? This time of year I`d assume some kind of critter is legal game in your state? That would justify your simply being in the field with your rifle. I`d have a clear conscious, it was a simple mistake.
I buy a "furbearer" license every year so I can carry a rifle with me when I'm in the mountains. The license is good for a year.

At least you just forgot. The people that get me are the ones who never read the regulations and go by what so and so says and never bother to check to see if its true. I hear some wild off the the wall comments every year. Heard one today by my father-in-law and he doesn't even hunt anymore. Go figure. :surrender:

You just made a mistake. The people that I don't like are the ones who go out and intentionally break the game laws.

If ML season flows right on into regular gun season the next day, then there was no infraction anyway...are the seasons back to back without a break?

Back