• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

I could have had a V-8

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JNG

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Took my Renegade deer hunting last week. During the fall, I have been shooting it at least once a week using .530 .18 patch and 80 grains of FFF.
The first deer came in view at a range of ~40 yards, it dawned on me that I had been using my set trigger at the range. As quite as the woods were, I was sure the the click would have spooked him. I did make the shoot and took a nice fork buck, but shoot a tad to the left.

Lesson learned, train how your going to shoot. I'm sure 99 percent of the folks knew this, so this post is for the other 1 percent "there you go".

Joe

I plan on doing a lot of shooting just like I will be doing it in the field. I started to hunt from a pop up blind and find that a shooting stick would be very handy for this, and that is one way that I have not practiced much. I tend to use trees, or a fallen log to lean over, but also practice off hand a bunch. Any old excuse is good enough to shoot more.LOL

The question I have is if the set trigger would have spooked it, how did you get the gun cocked without the deer spooking?
Ron

You pull the trigger in as you pull back the hammer, when fully back you release the trigger and slowly allow the hammer to come forward until it catches. The same way you would cock a single action handgun. If you have never done this before try it out a few times with the gun unloaded. I have found that it is safe and quite.

Joe

I don't think I could cock a gun that way without using two hands to do it. I just can't see that the set trigger would be that big of a problem. But then again the wind blows so hard here the sound of the wind covers up all other sound. Ron

In over 30 years of deer hunting, I've never had the sound of setting the trigger spook them...There are also 2 other options...Use the front trigger and don't worry about setting it and using a cover over the flint, set the trigger and remove the frizzen cover before shooting...

Back